No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kobler says he is impressed by speed of Sirte liberation; also warns of possible war crimes proceedings after Derna bombings

byMichel Cousins
June 17, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tunis, 11 June 2016:

The UN special envoy Martin Kobler has said that he is impressed by the rapid progress . . .[restrict]of GNA forces against the so-called Islamic State in Sirte. He also said that he had had a meeting with representatives of the international community and stressed upon them the need to deliver medical supplies to Libya.

The call comes as Misrata hospital continues to struggle dealing with the numbers of dead and wounded coming from the battlefront.

Kobler also warned that the International Criminal Court in The Hague would investigate new war crimes in Libya. The call followed reports that children had been killed by LNA airstrikes in Derna.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Development & Reconstruction Fund inaugurates Derna’s 2,000 housing project

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

Tweeting to “remind all fighters to respect international humanitarian law’ and that “civilians must not be targeted”, he said that he was deeply saddened to hear that two children and two women had been killed in the strikes, noting that targeting civilians “may be a war crime”. Those who kill civilians had to be held accountable, he insisted.

The Omar Mukhtar operations room, in charge of LNA action in the Derna area has, however, strongly denied that any civilian sites were targeted. According to Libya’s Channel TV, the head of the operations room, Brigadier Kamal Al-Jabali, has said that the aircraft had targeted tanks and armoured vehicles based in a company compound in Derna.

This is not the first time that allegations of targeting civilians in the town have been made, or denied by Jabali.

Meanwhile, separately, Kobler has also called on the Presidency Council “to create conditions to request exemptions from weapons embargo from UN Security Council for GNA forces”. This is seen as meaning that there has to be a united military force, wholly loyal to the Presidency. Such a situation currently does not exist. [/restrict]

Tags: DernafeaturedLibyaMartin KoblerSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Stabilisation fund over halfway to foreign pledge target

Fighting in Libya rages on: Portraits of four brave men

Fighting in Libya rages on: Portraits of four brave men

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.