No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS gunmen fleeing Libya take terror to Tunisian border town

byMichel Cousins
March 3, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
IS gunmen fleeing Libya take terror to Tunisian border town

clashes in benguadane

By Houda Mzioudet.

clashes in benguadane
Clashes in Ben Guerdane this evening (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 2 March 2016:

At least six people were killed and two others injured in deadly clashes near the Tunisian . . .[restrict]town of Ben Guerdane between armed militants who had crossed from Libya and Tunisian army and security forces today. The militants are believed to be Islamic State supporters fleeing from Sabratha after the US air raid on some of their facilities there and last week’s subsequent clashes with locals.

Five militants, believed to be three Tunisians and two Libyans, died when they clashed with Tunisian security forces and army. It was reported on social media that two of them blew themselves up inside a house in which they had tried to hide. A Ben Guerdane local was killed by a stray bullet. A Tunisian colonel and security official were also injured in the operation which lasted for five hours.

Eleven militants altogether are said to have crossed into Tunisia using four-wheel drive vehicles.

RELATED POSTS

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

REAoL delegation participates in MeetMED Week 2024 in Tunisia

A Ben Guerdane local who asked to remain anonymous told the Libya Herald that the operation took place in open farmland in the Awiji area, a few kilometres south of Ben Guerdane. The area has traditionally been associated with illegal smuggling from Libya.

Tunisian security officials say they seized five Kalashnikovs, three 4WD vehicles, ammunition, hand grenades and mobile phones among other items in the possession of the armed group. They also discovered an arms cache in the area where the weapons were found.

Several Tunisian media sources reported that some of the armed group members forced their way into nearby houses and hostage some of the occupants.

Army reinforcements were sent after a Ben Guerdane resident alerted security officials about the presence of the group in the Awiji area.

Belhassen Weslati, the spokesman of Tunisian Ministry of Defence, told Watania 1 TV station tonight that they saturated the area in which the “terrorist elements” took shelter, staging a wide sweeping operation.

Yasser Mosbah, from the Tunisian Ministry of Interior media department, speaking on the same channel, claimed that the infiltrators were IS members who had survived the 19 February US airstrike at Sabratha and the subsequent clashes between IS and local forces. Over 40 IS fighters, almost all of them Tunisians, died in the airstrike.

It had been expected that militants from Sabratha would try to flee to Tunisia, he added, Following today’s operation, Tunisian air force fighter planes have been patrolling the buffer zone along the border. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredIslamic StateLibyaTunisia

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli revolutionaries threaten State Council

Libyan ethnic jewellery: A traditional industry rooted in Tripoli and other Libyan towns and cities for many generations

Libyan ethnic jewellery: A traditional industry rooted in Tripoli and other Libyan towns and cities for many generations

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.