No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

BREAKING: Benghazi’s Sabri and Suq Al-Hout reported taken

byNigel Ash
February 23, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
BREAKING: Benghazi’s Sabri and Suq Al-Hout reported taken

A shattered Leithi building today (Photo: Libya Herald)

By Ayman Amzein and Maha Suleiman.

A shattered Leithi building today (Photo: Libya Herald)
A shattered Leithi building today (Photo: Libya Herald)

Benghazi, 23 February 2016:

It is being reported that the army has finally overrun terrorist positions near . . .[restrict]Benghazi’s port. If correct, the capture of Sabri and nearby Suq Al-Hout, which have defied repeated army attacks over the last year, means that the militants have been cleared out completely of the downtown area.

In the last 48 hours Buatni, Hawari and Leithi have all been taken by the army, leaving IS and Ansar Al-Sharia forces in control of three south-western areas, Gwarsha. Garayunis and Gamhouda.

The reports of the fall of Sabri and Suq Al-Hout were broadcast early this afternoon on Libya TV. There has not yet been any confirmation from the army and Ansar militants in Sabri have reportedly still been resisting, apparently as they try to evacuate in boats from the beach.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Many city roads still have roadblocks, in part to stop ousted residents returning to their homes before checks for booby traps have been completed.

Around midday there was a series of loud explosions from Sabri but it was not possible to reach the area.

This newspaper has been told that the army flew in soldiers from Zintan to reinforce the “Blood of the Martyrs” operation. The Zintanis reportedly landed at Benina airbase. Further forces have also arrived in the city from Tobruk by road.

There is still a sense of disbelief in Benghazi at the extent of the army’s gains since the  launch of its operation on Saturday. Among the key terrorist positions to have fallen has been the Rafallah Saiti camp in Hawari, which was the IS operations centre. Soldiers freed a currently unknown number of prisoners who had been held there for many months.  It is being reported that there were many dead IS fighters in the camp.

Yesterday the army also overran the IS operations room in Buatni in camp 319, the former base of Saiqa Special Forces from which they were routed in 2014.

The warm sunny day in the city is adding to the mood of euphoria with motorists driving around, honking horns and waving flags. It would appear that Leithi has been cleared of snipers, which had been a concern yesterday. The Leithi highway, closed for months has now been reopened. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziBlood of the MartyrsBuatnifeaturedGarayunisGwarshaLibyaSabriSuq Al-Hud

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Half a million new e-passports arriving by early March

Half a million new e-passports arriving by early March

Serbian bodies returned home, no others released yet.

Serbian bodies returned home, no others released yet.

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.