No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya wants $50m assistance from WHO – but the money is not there

byNigel Ash
January 30, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya wants $50m assistance from WHO – but the money is not there

Health minister Oakley (R) with WHO's Syed Jaffar Hussain (Photo: WHO)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Health minister Oakley (R) with WHO's Syed Jaffar Hussain (Photo: WHO)
Health minister Oakley (R) with WHO’s Syed Jaffar Hussain (Photo: WHO)

Tripoli, 29 January 2016:

Libya has begged the World Health Organisation to press ahead with a $50-million assistance programme . . .[restrict]as the chaos in the country’s health service reaches crisis levels. At stake, it says, are the critical health needs of two and a half million people.

However as of last month, less than $3 million had been pledged by member states. South Korea has put up $1.5 million, the US $700,000 and the EU $540,000.

Health minister Reida Oakely has been in Geneva to warn of imminent disaster. “The health situation in Libya is rapidly deteriorating,” he told a special briefing at WHO headquarters, “with extensive displacement, damage and closure of health facilities in conflict areas”

RELATED POSTS

Libya prepares to assess safety of health facilities using Hospital Safety Index

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Oakley added “Repeated rounds of violence have not allowed for a proper recovery of the health system, which even prior to the crisis, was struggling to meet the basic needs of the Libyan population”.

The WHO’s Libya representative Syed Jaffar Hussain warned that it was not possible to wait for a political solution.

“We need to act now. We need both financial resources and the international humanitarian community to step up efforts to help save the lives of children, mothers and the elderly who are most at risk. This is not about politics, it is about health needs.”

Nearly half the Libyan population was affected by the conflict. Approaching three quarters of all health facilities were closed or not working fully. More than 80 percent of nursing staff were lost when almost all foreign medical personnel were evacuated in the summer of 2014. Since then 20 hospitals and clinics have been damaged and five health workers killed. Most international agencies have moved specialist staff out to Tunisia.

Meanwhile hospitals were suffering from shortages of drugs and basic medical supplies. The situation was particularly bad in the east, said the WHO, where the main warehouse in Benghazi was destroyed in the fighting at a time when it has just been filled with new supplies. As a result Benghazi has frequently had to turn to Tripoli hospitals for supplies, where stocks are also running low.

Hussain said the WHO was committed to providing healthcare to everyone, irrespective of their religion, politics or nationality. “ This is our moral obligation, ” he said, “ We are calling on all parties to guarantee unrestricted, long-term delivery of humanitarian aid and unconditional movement of health workers”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredHealth ServiceHussainLibyaOakleyWHO

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Medavia resumes flights between Tripoli and Malta

Medavia resumes flights between Tripoli and Malta

Mohamed Raied freed by Tobruk kidnappers

Mohamed Raied freed by Tobruk kidnappers

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.