No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tunisia calls on Libyans to sign peace deal; no more changes says Kobler

byMichel Cousins
December 11, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Martin Kobler in Tunis today (Photo: UNSMIL)
Martin Kobler in Tunis today (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 10 December 2015:

There will be no more changes to the Libya Dialogue agreement UN Special Envoy Martin . . .[restrict]Kobler told delegates to a session convened by him in Tunis today. To do would be like opening Pandora’s Box. Instead, the agreement had to be rapidly put into effect – and would be, he insited. With the growth of the so-called Islamic State and the worsening humanitarian situation, the matter was urgent, he said.

“There must be a renewed legitimacy of the House of Representatives, and there must be a State Council in place,” he added.

Delegates were told much the same by the Tunisian Foreign Minister Taieb Baccouche: the UN-brokered Libya Political Agreement (LPA) needed to be signed as soon as possible because militants from the so-called Islamic State were expanding in Libya. That danger had to be the priority for Libyans, he said.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Speaking to the media after today’s session, Kobler insisted that he was much encouraged by what was his first Libya Dialogue session. There was consensus among the delegates that the agreement had to be signed quickly, he said.

There was agreement too, he added, that “nobody should go behind the back of any other participant of the political dialogue nor behind the back of the United Nations” – a clear condemnation of the rival “Tunis” deal agreed last Saturday in the same Ramada Hotel by groups from both the General National Congress (GNC) and the House of Representative (HoR).

At the meeting, designed partly in preparation for the Rome Conference on Libya on Sunday, were many of the political figures who had been involved in the wider Libya Dialogue process over the past year. As well as delegates from the House of Representatives such as Emhemed Shouaib and its rapporteur Saleh Hama there were members from the General National Congress including the leader of former GNC delegation to the Dialogue, Salah Makhzoum, as well as Nizar Kawan of the Justice and Construction Party (J&C) and Belgassem Gzeit, the Misrata member who leads the pro-LPA group within the GNC. Also present were political party leaders, including the J&C’s Mohamed Sawan, Guma El-Gamaty of the Taghyeer Party and Mohamed Ali Abdullah for the National Front.

Others present included former deputy prime minister Mustafa Abushagur who had flown in from the US, as well as Fathi Bashagha and Naima Gebril.

Absent, however, was the Watan Party’s leader, Abdulhakim Belhaj, as well the current members of the GNC delegation to the Libya Dialogue – Abdulrahman Sewehli, Awad Abdul Saddeq and Mohamed Bagi.

The latter two’s absence was unsurprising, They are now part of the rival “Tunis” deal, having been part of the five-member GNC delegation to it.

Despite Kobler’s optimism, the tone among the various delegates at the today’s gathering was rather more muted. There was little sense of enthusiasm or energy among them. Almost all refused to give any comments, saying they needed to hear the latest proposals from Kobler first.

There were some exceptions. One independent delegate who has been involved in the process from the start said that the names of the three remaining members of the presidency council (two deputy prime minsiter and a senior minister) would be chosen before the gathering ended on Friday. Another said the unity government headed by Faiez Serraj would be formally approved by the Dialogue before the end of the month.

(Kobler himself said that the date for the signing would be settled at the Rome meeting which will be chair by US Secretary of State John Kerry.)

Bucking the general mood, GNC member Gzeit who was attending for the first time said that he was “very optimistic” that the unity government would be approved. There were many in the GNC who, like him, backed it but they were afraid of publicly declaring their support he said. They were no longer, however, the majority. In any event, it would be impossible for there to be a vote in the GNC on the unity government and the LPA.

Appearing to confirm his view, a statement purportedly signed by 82 GNC members has now appeared supporting the Tunis deal and describing the UN-brokered one as unacceptable. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaLibya dialogueUNSMIL

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Tensions in Sabratha over arrests said to be linked to IS

Thinni dismisses high-profile information chief

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.