No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

National Accord Government “stillborn” if rushed warning.

byNigel Ash
December 13, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
National Accord Government “stillborn” if rushed warning.

By Libya Herald reporters.

ICG logo

Tripoli, 12 December 2015:

On the eve of tomorrow’s Rome conference, . . .[restrict]the International Crisis Group has warned that a Government of National Accord  formed before security was tackled and public opinion consolidated could be “stillborn” if it is recognised prematurely.

While welcoming the Rome meeting, the ICG, a non-government organisation, said “there are risks associated with a precipitous rush to anoint a government without consolidating domestic support or addressing urgent security concerns”

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

“Ending negotiations”, it said, “will strengthen hardliners; granting recognition to a government that has insufficient backing will condemn it to irrelevance”.

The ICG suggested that more time was also necessary to rebuild trust in the UN, which had been damaged by what it considered October’s premature announcement of the composition of the Government of National Accord. This, it said, had been coupled with allegations of impropriety against  Bernardino Leon, the previous UNSMIL chief who had driven through the Political Accord.

The ICG said that security, economic and humanitarian support had to take priority over a new government.

In a statement issued today, it warned the Rome meeting “ a Government of National Accord is likely to be stillborn if prematurely recognised. It not be able the be seated in Tripoli due to security concerns and might trigger renewed fighting for control of the capital”.

The ICG said it believed the UN’s Tripoli security plans should be made countrywide, involving talks between  all armed groups.

It suggested these include militias from the Jebel Nafusa, Misrata, Tripoli and Zintan in the west, the Libyan National Army,  the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council and the Petroleum Facilities Guard in the east and Tebu, Tuareg and Arab groups in the south.

The ICG insisted that it believed that the prospect of security and economic deals would be threatened, if a hard push on the political track led to polarisation or further political fragmentation. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGovernment of National AccordInternational Crisis GroupLibyaRome summitUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Tripoli gunmen grab human rights activist

Tripoli gunmen grab human rights activist

Ageela Salah stands up Abu Sahmain at Malta meeting

Ageela Salah stands up Abu Sahmain at Malta meeting

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.