No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon lambasted by HoR Dialogue member

byNigel Ash
October 10, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon lambasted by HoR Dialogue member

By Libya Herald reporters.

Leon speaking in Skhirat last night (Photo: UNSMIL)
Leon speaking in Skhirat (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tripoli, 9 October 2015:

One of the members of the negotiating team to the UN peace talks from Libya’s . . .[restrict]recognised parliament,  Abubakr Buera, has accused UN envoy Bernardino Leon of crafting a peace plan “at the expense of the Libyan interest”.

In a strongly-worded open letter, Buera, one the House of Representatives (HoR) team on the Libya Dialogue, says Leon also went back on his promise to make no changes to the plan he announced on 21 September.

He said “irregularities” included Leon on Thursday night changing the deal by having six members of the presidential council, instead of five ,and of actually going so far as to recommend the head of the proposed new State Council, when the original plan stipulated that it was for the Council itself to choose the person.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

His complaints strike at the heart of criticism levelled at the UN since a clearly exhausted Leon made his late night announcement on Thursday.

The continuing General National Congress (GNC) in Tripoli  refused to submit names for the premiership, the (what was then) two deputy premiers and the two other state ministers who altogether comprise the Presidency Council, even after Leon told them there could be “no changes” to his plan for a Government of National Accord.

Yet on Thursday night Leon himself announced he had made changes, adding that he was also to insert two further amendments into the document, one concerning Sharia law, the other dealing with amnesties for fighters and officials.  He also said that neither parliament would be able to make further changes.

Buera, wrote in his open letter: “It has become clear unfortunately during the past few days, that the representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Mr Leon, would have liked to have the conclusion of the dialogue in any form, even if doing so is at the expense of the Libya’s interest”.

His letter also comes amid concern from the HoR that Leon rejected all their nominations for prime minister, despite giving the assurance that he would choose the candidates from lists submitted by all the  parties. Instead, Leon chose Faiez Al-Serraj, a Tripoli HoR member who, while seen as highly competent and well-liked, had not been nominated by any Libyan party to the Dialogue.

Leon himself said on Thursday that the plan was the responsibility of the UN rather than Libyan delegates.

Buera has not yet said that the plan should be accepted or rejected but he is expected to enlarge on his complaints and possible remedies, at a press conference this weekend. [/restrict]

Tags: Abubakr BuerafeaturedHoRLeonLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

UN Security Council clears EU naval action against people-smugglers

Officials promise an end “soon” to renewed power cuts in Tripoli

Officials promise an end “soon” to renewed power cuts in Tripoli

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.