No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC continues to mull Leon names

byMichel Cousins
October 14, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli/Tunis, 14 October 2015:

Following a meeting today, Wednesday, to debate the names from UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon of . . .[restrict]the new prime minister, deputy premiers and the two other members of Government of National Accord who will comprise the Presidency Council, the General National Congress in Tripoli has said that it needs more time to consider them and Leon’s Draft Agreement.

At a press conference this afternoon, the head of the GNC’s Dialogue negotiating team, Awad Abdul Saddeq said the proposals were still being discussed. He also claimed that the GNC had been “surprised” at the names because they had never been mentioned in nine months of negotiations.

Last week, Leon named HoR member Faiez Al-Serraj as prime minister and three deputy premiers – Ahmed Maetig, Fathi Majbri and Musa Kuni, representing Tripolitania, Cyrenaica and Fezzan respectively.   The two other members of the presidency council named by Leon are Omar Aswad, from Zintan, and Mohamed Ammar, one of the GNC’s team at the Dialogue negotiations.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

The GNC is believed to be under intense pressure to agree the deal, notably by Turkey and Qatar which support it.

The statement by Abdul Saddeq contradicts that of Sadiq Idris Mohamed, one of the HoR’s negotiators at the Dialogue. He told members of the House yesterday that most of the names had been first suggested at the Dialogue ten months ago.

He himself opposed them and the deal, he said.

Meanwhile Fathi Bashagha, the boycotting Misrata HoR member and commander of the city’s powerful Halbous Brigade has welcomed Leon’s proposals, saying that those chosen as well as 19 other names proposed by Leon for ministerial or other state positions were highly regarded and understood the country’s current political dynamics.

Leon has said that Bushagha, one of the Libya Dialogue negotiators representing the HoR boycotters, should be given the post of head of national security.

It is not known when the GNC will next meet. The HoR which similarly failed to make up its mind on the deal yesterday is due to meet again next Monday, the eve of the 20 October deadline set for an agreement by Leon. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Confusion over seized Tunisians and Sabrathan mayor

Confusion over seized Tunisians and Sabrathan mayor

UNSMIL deal "just ink on paper": Ghariani

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.