No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC claims Leon agrees to change the Dialogue Draft as US warns of action against “spoliers”

byMichel Cousins
August 3, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 2 August 2015:

The continuing General National Congress (GNC) claims that UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon has agreed . . .[restrict]to amend the Dialogue Draft agreement approved last month in Skhirat. Until that happens, it says it will continue to boycott the UN-brokered Dialogue negotiations.

The GNC walked out of the Skhirat talks at the end of June over a number of items in the Draft.

Other delegates to the Dialogue, together with the House of Representatives, have insisted there can be no change to the text of the Draft, and in Algiers Leon told Abu Sahmain that the Draft as it stands was the only basis for solving Libya’s crisis.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tripoli Chamber discussing leading delegation to WOC show in Las Vegas, USA in January

Last night, following the return of GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain from Algiers where he and his delegation had had talks with Leon over the boycott, deputy GNC president Saleh Makhzoum confirmed that the Tripoli parliament would not take part in the dialogue until the UN took on board its amendments. He, however, presented the meeting in Algeria as a GNC success claiming that Leon had agreed to change the Draft to take on board its views. Speaking on TV, accompanied by GNC members Abdurahman Sewehli and Mohammed Al-Amary, he said that one of these was the Draft had to be formally approved by the GNC as well as the HoR. At present under the draft, only the HoR is supposed to formally ratify it.

Al-Amary is reported saying that Leon had proposed using the annexes to the Draft, which still have to be formulated, to bring in GNC views, but Abu Sahmain and the rest of the GNC delegation in Algiers had refused this. There had to be a review of the Draft before the annexes could be discussed, he said. UNSMIL had accepted this, he declared.

Earlier Sewehli had said that one of the GNC conditions was that fresh elections take place to a new legislature.

Leon has said that he hopes the next Dialogue round will take place this week. It is supposed to come up with names of the new prime minister and two deputy prime ministers. They are then supposed to choose the government ministers. These will then form one of the annexes.

Sewehli, a Misrata member of the GNC who is also a boycotting member of the HoR and a major supporter of the Samoud Front set up by his equally hardline Misrata colleague Saleh Badi, was earlier proposed for sanctioning by the UN but this was vetoed by Russia and China because the proposal also included the head of a Zintan militia which supports the government in Beida. It is reported that the EU is also considering sanctions against Sewehli and others for being spoliers of the Dialogue process.

Today in Cairo, the US indicated that it too was considering action against him and others. “We are going to review a couple of possibilities and options over the course of the next days how we might get greater support to the UN initiative right now,” US Secretary of State John Kerry said following talks with Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shukri. “We cannot allow one or two or three different spoiler groups who have not achieved all of their goals they had hoped to achieve though the conflict to destroy the entire process.” [/restrict]

Tags: Abdurrahman SewehliLibyaSaleh MakhzoumSkhiratUN dialogueUS

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Algeria plans to re-open border with Libya: report

EU to give €6M humanitarian aid to Libya

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.