No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Shipping companies deny tanker seizures reports

byMichel Cousins
July 10, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Shipping companies deny tanker seizures reports

By Libya Herald staff.

Ras Lanuf port
Ras Lanuf port (Photo: Google Maps)

Tunis, 10 July, 2015:

Reports that two Greek oil tankers, the Minerva Alexandria and Trident Hope, have been seized at Ras . . .[restrict]Lanuf and their crews detained have been denied by their owners.

“It’s rubbish,” a spokesman for Athens-based Minerva Marine, which owns the Minerva Alexandra, told the Libya Herald. “She never called there.”

A spokesman for the owners of Trident Hope, New Shipping, also headquarter in Athens, said the same. “It’s not true. The tanker never went there.”

RELATED POSTS

Ras Lanuf successfully restarts second polyethylene production‎ line – after a 12-year stoppage

Ras Lanuf signs contract with Slovakian Hydromtazah for maintenance of concrete foundations and steel structures at seawater outlet

Both tankers had been heading to Ras Lanuf following the lifting of force majeure on 2 July by the National Oil Corporation in Tripoli and, according MartineTraffic, were due to arrive in Ras Lanuf yesterday. They turned round and sailed north when it was announced that the local Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) did not accept the Tripoli NOC’s declaration and that the terminal was still closed.

The Minerva Alexandra remains “not only outside Libya’s territorial waters but outside outside it exclusive economic zone and is awaiting instructions,” the Minerva Marine spokesman said. “When we have assurances that the port is safe, she will go there. We simply will not take the risk going somewhere that is not allowed.”

The Trident Hope was also outside Libya’s water, its owners said.

The government in Beida issued a statement on the situation yesterday, although it spoke of Sidra rather than Ras Lanouf. It said that, following reports that two tankers were heading to Sidra to lift oil, it had contacted the NOC which informed it that it not authorised any tankers to lift oil and it had not lifted the declaration of force majeure.

The NOC it was referring to is not the one in Tripoli but the alternative NOC structure it has set up in Benghazi chaired by Mabruk Busaif.

The government added that any attempt to “steal” Libya oil was an act of piracy and that it would prosecute those involve and even use force if necessary.  The PFG was separately reported to have been instructed to arrest any tanker that tried to lift oil.

This was followed by media reports that both vessels had been impounded after arriving at Ras Lanouf and that the crews were being well treated but would not be released until the outcome of negotiations with the Libyan authorities.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMinerva AlexandraMinerva MarineNew Shipping LtdNOCRas LanufTrident Hope

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Benghazi crackdown on unhygienic food shops

Benghazi crackdown on unhygienic food shops

Red Cross sends medical supplies to Ajdabiya

Red Cross sends medical supplies to Ajdabiya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.