No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

After Morocco, UNSMIL dialogue moves to Algeria: UPDATE

byMichel Cousins
March 4, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
After Morocco, UNSMIL dialogue moves to Algeria: UPDATE

By Libya Herald staff.

Algeria

Tunis, 3 March 2015:

Following this week’s session of . . .[restrict]the UN-brokered dialogue in Morocco, due to start on Thursday, the focus of attention will move to Algeria early next week where a meeting of Libyan political leaders and activists is to be held.

As with the Moroccan meeting, the precise location has not been announced. Security is thought to be the reason. However, in the case of the former, the 23 Libyan principal political dialogue participants from the House of Representatives, the General National Congress and their teams are expected to fly to Marrakesh and then head to a palace put at their disposal for the talks by King Mohammed VI.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

According to the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), the Algerian session will then be followed later in the week with a separate round of discussions in Brussels involving representatives from a number of municipalities from across Libya.

It is not known if the political delegates meeting in Morocco will participate in the Algiers or Brussels sessions. Last time, when the municipal representatives met in Geneva, they were joined by the political delegates.

UNSMIL also says it will convene a separate meeting bringing together tribal leaders and other social groups.

The decision to host a meeting in Algeria following that in Morocco is seen as a diplomatic gesture by the UN, taking into account the deep rivalry between the two countries. Last year, Algerian efforts to pursue its own mediation in Libya came to nothing and it has since swung its support behind the UN dialogue.

That line was reconfirmed on Sunday in a meeting in Algiers between Algerian Minister for Maghreb and African Affairs Abdelkader Messahel and Italy’s Special Envoy (and ambassador) to Libya Giuseppe Buccino Grimaldi, and again yesterday in talks in the Algerian capital between the Secretary General of the Foreign Ministry and the US delegation led jointly by Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs Anne Patterson.

 Algerian Minister for Maghreb and African Affairs Abdelkader Messahel and Italy’s Special Envoy (and ambassador) to Libya Giuseppe Buccino Grimaldi (Photo: Algerian News Agency)
Algerian Minister for Maghreb and African Affairs Abdelkader Messahel (left) and Italy’s Special Envoy to Libya Giuseppe Buccino Grimaldi (Photo: Algerian News Agency)

“Algeria has a role to play in the dialogue”, Sharif Al Wafi, one of the political delegates told the Libya Herald this evening.

He added that although he and others were aware of the meeting in Algeria, they not yet been officially informed by UNSMIL. [/restrict]

Tags: algeriafeaturedGeneva dialogueLibyaMoroccoUNSMIL

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
New privately-owned Libyan TV channel launched from Amman, Jordan

New privately-owned Libyan TV channel launched from Amman, Jordan

The Libya Herald receives funding

The Libya Herald receives funding

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.