No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS claims Iran embassy attack

byMichel Cousins
February 23, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
IS claims Iran embassy attack

The street outside (Photo: Libya Herald)

By Libya Herald reporter.

Iranian embassy (Photo: Libya Herald)
Iranian embassy (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 22 February 2015:

The two bombs that exploded outside the Iranian ambassador’s residence this morning were deposited in . . .[restrict]bags hidden by bin-bags of rubbish, according to a member of the Diplomatic Police.

“Someone left the bags here at around 9.45, with bags of rubbish, in two separate places,” he said. “One was left outside the main gates, and the other a few metres from a smaller gate leading to the front door.” The two devices exploded about thirty minutes apart, he said.

He confirmed that no-one had been killed or injured in either blast, adding that the premises were vacant at the time of the explosion.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Security guards had originally suspected a third device was in the premises, security members guarding sealed off roads said. When the building was searched, however, no further devices were found.

The use of second and even third bombs to kill and injure those who have responded to an initial bomb blast is a standard Al-Qaeda practice.

The Iranian ambassador’s house is in an area of the Ben Ashour district of Tripoli that houses a number of other diplomatic missions. The Hungarian, Portuguese and Ukrainian embassies are all nearby. The Hungarian embassy, the last European mission left open in Libya after the Italians evacuated last week, temporary closed its mission just three days before the attack.

A source at the Ukrainian embassy said the bombs had exploded just 50 metres away and had shattered windows in the mission. The incident, in Tripoli’s already precarious security situation, could force the embassy to take action, the source said.

Glass was blown in and drain covers blown out in many neighbouring residences. One of these is owned by the members of the family who started Libyan publishing house Darf Publishers. Usama Fergani sadly showed how every window in his villa had been shattered. Broken tiles and distorted pieces of the metal gates to the embassy were found lying in his garden.

The street outside (Photo: Libya Herald)
The street outside (Photo: Libya Herald)

Another local resident, living on the street behind the Iranian embassy described how the two big explosions, around 30 minutes apart, shook the building and rattled the windows.

The Islamic State has reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredIranLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
AGOCO wants satellites to guard against more pipeline sabotage

AGOCO wants satellites to guard against more pipeline sabotage

Zawia hospital closes after more children die

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.