No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA announces ceasefire, but fight against “terrorists” excluded

byMichel Cousins
February 4, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ali Salem and Maha Sulaiman.

 

LNA ceasefire statementTripoli/Benghazi, 18 January 2015:

The . . .[restrict]Libyan National Army (LNA),  under the control of the Tobruk-based House of Represntatives, has declared a general ceasefire throughout the country as of midnight tonight, 18 January. It will cover land, air and naval forces.

In its announcement dated yesterday but issued today, the LNA’s General Command says that the decision was in response to the call by delegates to the UN-brokered dialogue in Geneva for a cessation of hostilities.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

Operation Dignity spokesman Mohamed Hejazi told the Libya Herald that the ceasefire was already being put into effect in the west and south of the country and at Ben Jawad. It would not, however, extend to Derna or Benghazi. There, he said, the battle was different. “We are fighting terrorism in Benghazi and Derna,” he said. “We will not stop.”

Confirming the ceasefire limitations, Chief of Staff spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari added that naval action aimed at preventing Ansar Al-Sharia obtaining supplies by sea would continue.

In its statement, the LNA wished all those taking part in the dialogue success, adding that wherever the outcome in Geneva it would continue to attempt to install law and order in Libya.

Libya Dawn is split over the ceasefire.

In a response today reflecting the views of hardliners within the group, its media office said it would not accept anything put out by Operation Dignity or the House of Representatives and that those issuing the ceasefire statement were “criminals”. The only legitimate military authorities in Libya, it insisted, were continuing Congress president Nuri Abu Sahmain as Commander-in-Chief and Major-General Abdussalam Jadallah Obeidi as Chief of Staff.

On Friday, however, Ahmed Hadia, spokesman of the Misrata-based Central Shield, the strongest element in Libya Dawn, announced an immediate ceasefire which, he said, would cover all Libya Dawn forces as well as those of Operation Sunrise. The latter was set up by the Tripoli authorities to take over the oil terminals in the east of the country and is nominally separate from Dawn.

This too was a response to the Geneva request, as well as enabling humanitarian supplies to be sent where needed and wounded people in Benghazi and Kikla to be treated, Hadia said.

However, almost immediately, a number of other groups within Dawn such as the Janzour-based National Mobile Forces said that they had received no instructions to stop fighting, and that they would only do so if ordered by Abu Sahmain as commander-in-chief and Chief of Staff Obeidi. The Hassi Ministry of Defence, firmly linked to the hardliners, also said that Hadia had been authorised to make such an statement.

Within Misratan forces there are also divisions. Controversial former Misrata GNC member Salah Badi who leads the Haten brigade and vehemently opposed the idea of dialogue, was filmed yesterday near Ajilat calling on militiamen to continue fighting, describing those who chose to join the Geneva talks as “traitors”.

The United National Special Mission in Libya, which is brokering the dialogue talks in Geneva, has welcomed both ceasefires, calling them “an encouraging sign” giving dialogue the chance to work. It added that they would enable humanitarian aid to reach the displaced and those in need and encourage international aid organisations to resume work in Libya. It would be monitoring breaches. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaLibyan National ArmyUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

International response to Geneva talks positive and hopeful

Prominent Benghazi councillor withdraws resignation

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.