No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

International response to Geneva talks positive and hopeful

byNewsdesk2
January 19, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 18 January 2015:

Statements issued by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), the European Union (EU) and various . . .[restrict]nations regarding last week’s talks in Geneva were unanimous in praise of the commitment and attitudes of the participants in the UN-led dialogue in Geneva last week.

EU High Representative Federica Mogherini stated, “This initial progress is a start and should be welcomed even if there’s still a long way to go.”

The UNSC, Mogherini, Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni and the Canadian government all released statements welcoming the talks and commending the participants, saying they showed an openness to dialogue and constructive attitudes.

RELATED POSTS

Libya needs unified institutions to restore economic vitality through UNSMIL’s efforts: Trumps Advisor Boulos

Security Council affirms role of UN in Libya and Tetteh’s road map – calls for Libyans to demonstrate political will, refrain from unilateral action, and unification of institutions and budget

Each statement also expressed hope that the participants in next week’s continuation of the talks will show the same willingness to work together to bring about a solution. They urged all who have been invited to participate in the talks, which will again be held in Geneva.

Last week’s talks were boycotted by some of those invited. The General National Congress (GNC) did not attend and have said they will only attend next week if the meetings are held in Libya.

Each statement included a commendation of the efforts of UNSMIL head Bernardino Leon to bring about the Geneva meetings. Gentiloni said the talks bring “new hope”, a hope expressed in each statement that talks will lead to the formation of a national unity government.

In the meantime, they welcomed the ceasefire agreements that have recently been announced. They urged that all sides honor the ceasefire in order to allow for a productive environment that encourages dialogue. The statements were unanimous in expressing that there is no military solution to the current conflict.

The UNSC threatened that those who seek to disrupt the dialogue process will be hit with sanctions, as laid out in SC resolution 2174. It stressed that it is committed to Libya’s unity, territorial integrity, independence and sovereignty.

Meanwhile, Gentiloni expressed Italy’s support of those who contribute to the aim of a national unity government.

  [/restrict]

Tags: CanadaEUFederica MogheriniGeneva dialogueItalyLibyaUN Security CouncilUN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Prominent Benghazi councillor withdraws resignation

FCM Malta to offer regular flights between Tripoli and Malta

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.