No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli Minister of Justice claims Zintan preventing Saif’s court appearance

bythomwestcott
December 13, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 13 December 2014:

Ahead of tomorrow’s court hearing in the trial of Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi and 31 regime-era . . .[restrict]officials, the Minister of Justice in the Tripoli-based administration of Omar Al-Hassi has accused Zintan officials of scuppering efforts for Saif’s attendance via video-link.

“I and the whole cabinet have been looking to execute justice and have Saif under the authority of the courts,” Mustafa Al-Glaib told the Libya Herald. “The Ministry tried to have the video-link because this was a way for Saif to appear in court, but the criminals in Zintan have stopped this effort.”

The Attorney General’s office had said previously that ongoing unrest in the Jebel Nafusa had made it impossible for technicians to reach Zintan for the last two court hearings, to fulfil the court arrangement that Saif would appear on live video-link.

RELATED POSTS

Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

Attorney General’s Office confirm Saif al-Islam Qaddafi’s death – Initial examination of corpse confirm death caused by gunshots

Glaib, however, said that since the trial restarted, attempts to set up the video-link had been scuppered by officials in the mountain town. “We tried to send a technician to the jail there to set up the video-link but Zintan didn’t allow him in, didn’t allow him access,” Glaib said. “We kept trying and we are still trying now.”

After the 17th February Revolution, the “dream” of making all criminals stand before justice within the context of a real court and justice system had become a reality, he said. He added that the way Zintan was now handling the case of Saif was undermining this.

“Saif’s trial should be on TV so all Libyans and the international community can watch and follow what’s happening in the trial, but the Zintanis are hiding him now,” he said.

Local residents have reported that much of Zintan has been left without internet connectivity and mobile phone reception since fighting broke out in the Jebel Nafusa. This is believed to have been a contributing factor to the video-link not being set up. Glaib insisted, however, that Fajr Libya had never deliberately cut any services to the town.

“There have been no attacks on Zintan, so they should inform the courts what the situation is with Saif because they are responsible for that,” he said. “They have judges, prosecutors and even local authorities there who should at least tell the media what is happening and whether Saif is still alive and well.”

Saif is still wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) to stand trial for crimes against humanity, but Libya has consistently refused to hand him over. On Wednesday, the ICC issued a finding of non-compliance on the part of the Libyan authorities and referred the case to the UN Security Council. [/restrict]

Tags: JusticeLibyaMinister of JusticeSaif Al-Islam QaddafiTripoliZintan

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Libya Dawn’s attack on eastern oil terminals is “collective suicide”: LNA

Libya Dawn's attack on eastern oil terminals is "collective suicide": LNA

“Books were his passion, and they changed his life” – the world of Darf Publishers

“Books were his passion, and they changed his life" - the world of Darf Publishers

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.