No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Number of internally displaced in Libya nears 400,000

byNewsdesk2
November 19, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 18 November 2014:

The number of Libyans displaced by ongoing fighting continues to rise and has now reached . . .[restrict]almost 400,000.

According to the UNHCR, the figure for those internally displaced since conflict began in May now exceeds 393,400. At least 106,420 have fled their homes just in the past month.

As fighting has raged around Benghazi, Obari and Kikla, large numbers of people have fled to safer areas. Residents have also decamped from Derna as groups aligned with the Islamic State have become entrenched there and the LNA has begun carrying out air strikes in and around the town.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

UNHCR spokesman Adrian Edwards says that working out exactly how many internally displaced persons (IDPs) has been hard because of the limitations of the UNHCR’s work in the midst of the instability.

Their estimate is that the IDPs include 56,500 from Benghazi (including 2,500 Tawerghans who had previously taken refuge there after being displaced in 2011). There are also 11,280 from Obari ans 38,640 from Kikla.

The UNHCR and its partner organizations have not been able to determine the number of those who have fled Derna.

According to Edwards, the displaced have relocated to at least 35 cities and towns across Libya. Those who have fled Benghazi and Derna have taken shelter in Tobruk, Marj, Beida, Ajdabiya and Misrata.

Many towns are reaching or exceeding the limits of their abilities to absorb and care for these refugees. Food, medications and other essentials are in short supply.

Because many towns are often hosting IDPs in schools, classes have been suspended, meaning the school year has been disrupted not only for the students who fled, but also for residents in the towns in which people have sought safety. Edwards specifically mentioned the school closures in Marj and Tobruk.

The UNHCR and local organisations have struggled to reach IDPs to bring help. Access has been extremely difficult due to the continuing armed clashes. However, Edwards said that funding has also become an issue.

With the colder weather and rains coming soon, there are concerns that the IDPs will not have the necessary clothing, heaters and adequate shelter.

The plight of the Tawerghans, in particular, raises concerns. According to Edwards, around 2,500 of them have fled from Benghazi to Ajdabiya and neighbouring towns and taken shelter in parks, parking lots and schools. Many have only tents or plastic sheets for shelter, he said.

The UNHCR is also concerned for the thousands of refugees and asylum seekers in Libya, almost half of them  Syrians, who find themselves stranded in conflict zones.

“During times of conflict, refugees, asylum-seekers and migrants are often viewed with suspicion and suffer from animosity towards all foreigners,” said Edwards.

The lack of options can be a factor that drives them to attempt the dangerous Mediterranean boat crossing on to Europe. The number of those attempting the trip has increased dramatically this year and the UNHCR estimates that 85% of those that reach Italy’s shores began their journey from Libya.

Edwards said: “The UNHCR calls on all countries to allow civilians fleeing Libya access to their territories, and urges all states to suspend forcible returns to Libya until the security and human rights situation has improved considerably.”

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Benghazidisplaced peopleKiklaLibyaObariTawerghansUNHCR

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

El Fil resumes output as NOC warns on illegal liftings

HoR mystified by Thinni's surprise emergency budget call

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.