No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR summons Grand Mufti and Central Bank Governor for questioning

byMichel Cousins
September 1, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
HoR summons Grand Mufti and Central Bank Governor for questioning

By Farah Waleed.

Ghariani
Parliament wants explanations from the Grand Mufti (File photo)

Benghazi, 1 September 2014:

The House of Representatives has summonsed the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani, together with the Governor . . .[restrict]of the Central Bank of Libya, Saddek Elkaber, and his two deputy governors, for questioning. The summons, which followed the HoR’s decision to ask Abdullah Al-Thinni to form a new government, is seen as a preliminary move before sacking them and bringing both the bank and the religious establishment fully under government control.

Last month, the former chief of staff, Major-General Abdussalam Obeidi, was likewise summonsed for questioning by the HoR before being dismissed.

According to an HoR member, the House wants Ghariani to explain his repeated support for the Libya Dawn operation in Tripoli and the Benghazi Revolutionaries Shoura Council, both of which it has condemned. On several occasions he said that anyone who died fighting Khalifa Hafter’s Operation Dignity forces in Benghazi or the Qaaqaa and Sawaiq brigades in Tripoli would be a martyr and go to heaven while members of Operation Dignity and the two Zintani brigades who died would go to hell. He refers to the Zintanis as “traitors”.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba and Menfi stress use of polling feedback to establish consensus basis for constitutional process: report and analysis

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

He is not expected to go to Tobruk. He has repeatedly denounced the HoR as illegal. However, if he did not turn up, the House member said, he would be sacked.

Until this weekend Ghariani spent several months in the UK, supposedly for medical treatment. However, he fled with his son last week after it emerged that the British authorities were investigating him for alleged incitement to murder and violence in Libya. He is currently said to be in Qatar.

There have been numerous demonstrations and calls from prominent political figures in recent weeks demanding he be sacked. Former National Transitional Council head Mustafa Abdul-Jalil said  in June he should be dismissed after he claimed that Hafter and his forces were “transgressors” and that they were  waging a war not against terrorists but against Islam. Earlier, former Prime Minister Ali Zeidan suggested that the Grand Mufti had lost his sanity and had to go. Current Prime Minister Thinni last week condemned him for his fatwas, saying they were biased and ideologically motivated.

Central Bank governor Elkaber has also been targeted by the Prime Minister. In April, he accused him of exceeding his powers and refusing to release funds approved by Congress. He “acts as the ruler of Libya and does whatever he wants”, Thinni said at the time.

If Elkaber is replaced, it would result in a major financial boost to the government and the HoR even if he refused to go. The lions’s share of Libya’s financial assets are abroad. Institutions and banks around the world will cooperate only with Central Bank officials working with a head of the bank seen as legitimate – which now means someone endorsed by the HoR. [/restrict]

Tags: CBL Governor Saddek ElkaberfeaturedGrand Mufti Sadik Al-GharianiLibya

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Fighting in south east Benghazi as Ansar renews Benina attacks

Ministry of Foreign Affairs attacks Turkish President’s ‘blatant interference’

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.