No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi film screening commemorates 1984 attempt to overthrow Qaddafi

byCallum Paton
May 10, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi film screening commemorates 1984 attempt to overthrow Qaddafi

Cinema-goers attend the opening of the film documenting the events of 1984

By Libya Herald staff.

Cinema-goers attend the opening of the film documenting the events of 1984
Cinema-goers attend the opening of the film documenting the events of 1984

Tripoli, 10 May 2014:

The Feel Cinema in Benghazi gave a special screening of The Road to Bab Al-Azizia . . .[restrict]on Thursday in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the National Front for the Salvation of Libya’s valiant but ultimately doomed attempt to overthrow the Qaddafi regime through its 1984 assault on the dictator’s armed compound at Bab Al-Azizia a in Tripoli.

Four of the six surviving members from the group, Osama Shallouf, Aref Dkhiel, Kamal Al-Shami and Emad Al-Hsaeri attended the opening of the film which documents the events of 1984.

Shallouf told the Libya Herald of his gratitude to the makers of the film and said it was an accurate representation of what had happened. He added that the subject was important not just for present-day audiences but for future generations of Libyans.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

“This is a historical document showing the brutality of the Qaddafi regime, something many younger Libyans of the 1990s cannot fully appreciate having only lived during the regime’s era of openness,” Dkhiel said. “I consider the director Faraj Farjani as one of us for his work these past three years,” he added.

The film, officially sponsored by the Benghazi Local Council, documents the story of 18 “Fedayeen” or militant members of the National Front who travelled to Libya from Tunisia with a plan to destroy the Qaddafi regime at its heart. However, their plans were discovered when three of them were arrested.

The result was that  their leader, Ahmed Ahawwas, was caught while travelling to Tripoli on 6 May 1984 and summarily executed in Zuwara. Others tried to carry out the attack, but the element of surprise was lost.  In the aftermath, dozens were arrested and executed.

Ahawas is now seen as a hero of the anti-Qaddafi resistance movement. [/restrict]

Tags: 198430th AnniversaryBenghaziLibyaNational Front for the Salvation of LibyaRoad to Bab Al-Azizia

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
The Second Exhibition for Military and Defense Security to be held at Matiga Air Base

The Second Exhibition for Military and Defense Security to be held at Matiga Air Base

Cable reconnected following telecoms blackout in the south

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.