No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misratans pull out of Sirte and oilfields ahead of possible Jadhran deal

byMichel Cousins
February 22, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Taher Zaroog and Jamal Adel.

Misrata/Tripoli, 17 March 2014:

The Misrata-based Central Libya Shield Brigade  . . .[restrict] has withdrawn from Sirte Airbase and from the Zueitina, Al-Fida and Al-Ghani oilfields south east of Sirte in the area around Zillah. 

It took control of the airbase last Tuesday and then moved into the oilfields later in the week. 

The withdrawal comes amid reports of a deal being brokered by Magharba tribe and Cyrenaican elders under which Ibrahim Jadhran would hand over the oil terminals to intermediaries and leave the country while the Misratans would return home.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

In a statement today, the spokesperson of the Central Libya Shield, Ala Al-Huwaik, said that yesterday’s withdrawal had been ordered by the Chief of Staff following mediation by local elders. These, he said, were working to resolve the crisis over the blockade of the oil terminals by members of the Petroleum Facilities Guards under the control of Jadhran following the decision by the President of the General National Congress, Nuri Abu Sahmain, to suspend for two weeks his decision to send in forces to end the seven-month stalemate.

The three oilfields were now under the control of Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) led by Brigadier Idris Bukhamada, Huwaik told the Libya Herald.

The withdrawal had taken place without any fighting, he added.

On Sunday, Huwaik said that the Misratan-led forces had earlier taken over control of the three fields in collaboration with Idris Bukhamada’s PFG forces as well as with local military units and former thuwar, and was preparing to move to secure the oil fields in the Maradah area further to the east. 

“We didn’t face any confrontation”, Huwaik said at the time, “because locals in Zellah, with the army units there, were massively cooperative”.

According to officials in Misrata last night, a deal had been brokered under which Misratan and Benghazi forces would pull out of Sirte and the oilfields, although units from while Tarhouna, Zawia, Beida and Marj would stay. In return, Jadhran would leave for Dubai, handing over the oil terminals to the PFG under the control of Idris Bukhamada.

He, like Jadhran, is from Ajdabiya and a member of the Maghraba tribe, but is not a Cyrenaica federalist and is instead loyal to the central authorities.

Also as part of the agreement, those responsible for the deaths of five members of the Zawia Martyrs Brigade killed in Sirte last Wednesday, would be handed over to the public prosecutor.

Last week, the Magharba elders called for the advance against the oil terminals ordered by the Chief of Staff, over which Abu Sahmain had imposed a two-week stay of execution, to be cancelled. They promised in return they would ensure a solution to the oil terminals crisis. 

The deal was brokered ahead of the seizure of the tanker Morning Glory and the failure of Jadhran’s hopes  of selling oil on the international market.

However, whether the deal becomes reality has yet to be seen.  A similar agreement brokered by the Magharba last December came to nothing. [/restrict]

Tags: CyrenaicaIbrahim JadhranLibyaMagharba tribeMisrataSirteZillah

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Al-Thinni “will stay as Prime Minister” says GNC member

Government announces three days national mourning for Benghazi blast victims

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.