No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

February Committee wants party lists banned in elections for Congress successor

byMichel Cousins
March 28, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 28 March 2014:

There will be no list system for political parties the elections for the new . . .[restrict]House of Representatives which, under the February Committee’s proposals, is to replace Congress as the country’s interim legislature.  

Participation in elections will be based on “the individual system” not “the list system”, a member of the Committee that devised the plans for a new interim legislature has told the Libya Herald.

Otherwise, the only real difference between the present Congress and the House of Representatives that is to replace it, is the name and its location, Benghazi Congressman and Committee member Ahmed Langhi said.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The House of Representatives, which will meet in his home city, will be fundamentally the same as Congress “with its all advantages and disadvantages” and with the same 200 seats representing the same constituencies, he claimed

However, it appears that there will be nothing to prevent individual candidates being members of a political party – which in reality was the case in the Congressional elections in July 2012. Political parties will thus be present in the new legislature.

Also, to make up for the fact that there few women may be elected on the individual list, there should be a 15-percent quota for women, Langhi said.  That would give them a minimum 30 seats in the new legislature.

Under the rules for the 2012 elections, the list of candidates presented by parties had to have men and women alternating.  If the first candidate on the list for a particular sub-constituency was a man, the second had to be a woman. Nearly all the 33 currently women in Congress were elected under the system.

At the 25th Arab Summit in Kuwait this week, Congress President Nuri Abu Sahmain declared that the new law authorising elections for the new House would be voted on by the end of this month. In effect that means Sunday.  [/restrict]

Tags: General National CongressLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Saadi Qaddafi denies abuse allegations, apologises to Libya people

Saadi Qaddafi denies abuse allegations, apologises to Libya people

Morning Glory takes temporary berth in Khoms

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.