No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Eastern oil ports “to be freed by military force”

bythomwestcott
March 11, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 10 March 2014:

A military force is to be formed to take on the federalists who have blockaded three . . .[restrict]of the country’s eastern oil export terminals since August last year.

Head of the General National Congress (GNC) and temporary Commander-in-Chief, Nuri Abu Sahmain, issued resolution No. 42 of 2014 today, which will apparently see the process put into action within seven days.

The resolution authorised army units and revolutionary brigades from areas including Tobruk, Benghazi, Sebha, Sirte, Misrata and Tripoli to form a military force designed to bring back the oil export terminals under the control of the state authorities.

RELATED POSTS

Libya exported 432 million barrels of oil in 2023 earning US$ 35.8 billion: NOC

EUBAM delivers first aid medical equipment to Border Guards and Interior Ministry

The move came after the federalist groups controlling the ports made their first illegal sale of oil. This was loaded onto a North Korean-flagged tanker on Saturday and Sunday at Sidra, although the vessel has not yet been able to leave because vessels under the control of the Navy and revolutionary brigades are blocking it from leaving.

A Congressman, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Libya Herald that the GNC Defence Committee held a meeting today to determine the tasks, which would include the use of force against the usurpers at the oil export terminals.

The General Chief of Staff, Jadallah Al-Obaidi, has been instructed to assemble and coordinate these forces, the Congressman said. He added that units from the new force would initially be located in Sirte, Ajdabiya and Jufra.

Under Article No.4 of the resolution, the Congressman said, the Prime Ministry and Ministry of Defence would be responsible for putting the operation into action.

Minister of Economy Mustafa Abufunas has estimated that the port closures, which have seen production plummet from over 1 million barrels per day (b/d) to around 300,000 (b/d), have caused financial losses in excess of $10 billion. [/restrict]

Tags: federalismGNCIbrahim JadhranLibyaministry of defenceoil exports

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
IWIL celebrate one year anniversary and women’s day

IWIL celebrate one year anniversary and women’s day

North Korean-flagged tanker intercepted by military forces

North Korean-flagged tanker intercepted by military forces

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.