No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR split on Thinni; will debate tomorrow

byNigel Ash
August 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald Reporters.

Tobruk, 23 August 2014:

The Libyan House of Representatives is under huge pressure to address the country’s deteriorating security . . .[restrict]situation and respond urgently to the struggle of the people of Tripoli and Benghazi as rival armed groups fight each other for control of Libya’s two mains cities.

One of the issues the parliament is currently trying to address is the government. There are different views on Abdullah Al-Thinni’s interim government. Some members believe Thinni and his cabinet should be replaced and a new prime minister appointed to form a new crisis government. This argument appears to be attracting support.

Younis Fanoush, a representative for Benghazi said he believed Thinni should be replaced. “We need a true crisis government under a new leadership in Libya to address the chaotic and deteriorating security situation” Fanoush  told the Libya Herald,  “The new government must address the security situation as its top priority during these turbulent times” he added.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

On the other hand, the parliament has agreed on the direct election of a president and that one of the powers of the office, according to the constitutional declaration, is to form a new government. Therefore a group of legislators is suggesting Thinni be kept on as premier for now.

He should however be asked to reshuffle his administration and form a smaller crisis cabinet to address the security situation, until a new president is elected and builds a new government.

“We can keep the current prime minister, but request that he reforms his government and present a smaller crisis government” Said Amal Bayau another Benghazi representative.

There certainly seems to be consensus that any government will have to be smaller and be formed to address the security situation as its top priority. The parliament is clearly intent on tackling the security situation.

There is apparently agreement that the current Chief of Staff Jadallah al-Obaidi should be sacked.  There are already candidates for his job but their names have yet to be announced.

There is a group of parliamentarians calling for the formation of a Higher Council for Armed Forces. However, others are sceptical of such move and would prefer to keep the post of the Chief of Staff, while ensuring there is a civilian oversight of the military.

One person calling for a Higher Council for Armed Forces is Operation Dignity leader General Khalifa Hafter. However, legislators point out that the creation of such a body would require extensive consultations between Libya’s politicians and prominent armed forces figures.

So far, the parliament seems to be equally split between forming a new crisis government under new leadership and tasking Thinni with the formation of such a crisis government. However, there is consensus that the next government will have to be a smaller and must be security focused.  The issue will be on the parliament’s agenda tomorrow. [/restrict]

Tags: crisis governmentHoRLibyaThinni

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Brand-new turbine breaks down at Sirte’s power station

Operation Dignity denies loss of Benina and Air Defence base

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.