No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi municipal elections registration extended

byMichel Cousins
February 2, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Ahmed Elumami and Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 2 February 2014:

Voter registration for the municipal council elections in Benghazi has . . .[restrict]been extended by a fortnight, until 13 February, because of low take-up.  As of yesterday, just under 30,000 Benghazi residents had registered. The local subcommittee of the Central Committee for Municipal Council Elections (CCMCE) has been looking to at least 130,000 people registering. 

According to Idris Al-Gadhi, a member of the Benghazi subcommittee, one of the main reasons for the low figure was that, with the municipal elections coinciding with those of the 60-Member Constitutional Committee, many would-be voters had mistakenly thought their registration for the latter would cover the municipal poll as well.

Registration for candidates is also being extended until 13 February. However, Ghadi said that 18 had already been cleared to stand by the Public Officials Standards Commission (POSC) and 30 others were still being vetted. 

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

The Libya Herald has also learned that although the registration is being extended, there will be no campaigning i in Benghazi until three or four days after the Constitutional Committee elections, which take place on 20 February, in order not to confuse voters. 

The CCMCE says it is confident that sufficient numbers of Benghazi residents will register to vote for the municipal poll.

The contest is seen as the most important in the second tranche of municipal elections, currently being organised. There are going to be 22 of them. The first tranche, in December, saw contests in 15 of the new municipalities.  Work on around 40 others, including in Tripoli, Zawia, Misrata and Sebha, is expected to begin by the end of the month, once some financial issues have been dealt with.

“We’re very proud to have reached this stage,” said Otman Gajiji, chairman of CCMCE. Despite all the obstacles, including a lack of funding, the main committee and subcommittees had worked tirelessly to achieve a major success. With so many problems facing the country, here was something all Libyans could celebrate, he said. The process might be slow – of the 15 contests so far, two had been completed (Beida and Shahat) and the final composition of the new councils for two others was about to be announced (Zultan and Hawamid), Gajiji said. But that was because of the rigorous vetting process. The results for the remaining 11 contests held in December were still awaited from the POSC, he explained.

He was confident, however, that the polls in about 80 of the 90 new municipalities would have taken place by the end of April.  [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibyamunicipal elections

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Breakfast breakout from Swani Road jail

Education and Training exhibition opens tomorrow at Tripoli University

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.