No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

National human rights organisation blasts government over failures

byCallum Paton
January 21, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Callum Paton.

Mohammed Al-Alagy speaking at the release of the new report (Photo:Callum Paton)
Mohammed Allagi speaking at the release of the new report (Photo:Callum Paton)

Tripoli, 20 January 2014:

The National Council for Civil Liberties and Human Rights (NCCLHR) has attacked the government and Congress . . .[restrict]saying that their fundamental failures are proving one of the most serious obstacles to the advancement of human rights in the country.

“How can a government insufficiently strong to protect its own members protect the state in general?”, asked Waleed Kawaan, the Executive Director of NCCLHR. “It has become a failure in this crucial area.” He added that instead of simply observing and discussing, the government needed to “enact actual plans which are true representation of the aspirations of the Libyan people rather than being subject to outside pressures”.

During a press conference for the release of the NCCLHR’s most recent report, the human rights organisation discussed at length the various shortcomings of the government and the refusal of many of its ministries to cooperate with the organisation. NCCLHR was most critical of the government’s failure to rein in what it called unaccountable armed groups operating nominally under the control of state institutions.

RELATED POSTS

Office of Prosecutor of International Criminal Court welcomes Germany’s arrest of Libyan suspect

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

“It has become clear that the state is unable to control the proliferation of weapons and impose the sovereignty of law,” said Kawaan. “There are armed groups in this country to which the government has lent its legitimacy but which do not listen to the government.” He added that basic freedoms and civil society could only be ensured once a strong state had been built up to protect them.

In its no-holds-barred report into human rights in Libya over the past six months the NCCLHR listed  hundreds of  human rights violations across the country in prisons, schools and hospitals, against the freedom of speech, against minorities and the disabled.

It reported torture, extra judicial executions and detentions in the 52 prisons it inspected in the latter half of 2013. It drew attention to crowded classrooms and poor school conditions affecting students’ right to education as wells a lack of modern equipment in neonatal units in public hospitals. It said that the government was not doing enough to provide basic international standards for the country’s 60,000 disabled people, adding that more also had to be done to combat the “inhuman conditions” in camps for internally displaced minorities.

Mohammed Allagi, the president of NCCLHR, opened the convention saying: “This is an institution which can be relied on and which has succeeded over the course of the last two to three years to stand on its own.” He  praised the efforts of NCCLHR in its work on the report.

In attendance at the conference were the UAE Ambassador to Libya, representatives from the British Embassy, Sadat Elbadri, head Tripoli Local Council, Salam Al-Sheikhi, head of the League of Libyan Ulema,  and Abdul Rahman Keesah, head of the Libyan Bar Association. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredHCCLHRhuman rightsLibyaThe National Council for Civil Liberties and Human Rights

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Journalists "captured and beaten" by Qaddafi supporters during Sebha airbase raid

Abstract art exhibition inspired by prehistoric rock art opens in Tripoli

Abstract art exhibition inspired by prehistoric rock art opens in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.