No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hopes of an end to Tripoli power cuts as gas starts flowing to Ruwais power station.

byMichel Cousins
December 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hopes of an end to Tripoli power cuts as gas starts flowing to Ruwais power station.

By Aimen Eljali and Ahmed Elumami.

Pylons

Tripoli, 8 December 2013:

There are . . .[restrict]hopes in Tripoli this evening that the continuing power outages in the capital will be over within the next 48 hours as a result of gas starting to flow again today from the Wafa field to the Ruwais power station near Nalut in the Jebel Nafusa.

Power generation in the country has been slashed to a record low in the past fortnight because of blockades on fuel supplies to power stations by Amazighs and Tebus in pursuit of political demands. Ten days ago, Electricity Minister Ali Muhairiq said it was just 4,600 megawatts (MW). Four days ago, however, the Amazigh announced an end to their action.

RELATED POSTS

Damaged and drifting Russian gas tanker under control – being tugged away to sea by Libyan efforts

BREAKING: Eni announces new offshore gas discoveries in Libya of more than 1 trillion cubic feet – gas to supply Libyan domestic market and for export to Italy

Gas started to arrive today at the power station, control room supervisor Othman Lambash told the Libya Herald, but at half the pressure needed to power the turbines. Lambash said that urgent work was being carried out at the Wafa field to increase the pressure and that it was hoped that supplies would be flowing again normally within 24 to 48 hours.

He explained that the plant has been operating just one of its five turbines since the blockade began. With the gas-powered station capable, when necessary, to run on oil, the single turbine has been powered by diesel. But the fuel consumption had been voracious, he said. Fifty trucks a day had been supplying 60,000 tonnes of diesel. Normally with 35,000 cubic metres of gas a day, each turbine could produce 150 MW of electricity, 750MW in all. Fuelled by diesel, the sole working one was producing just 125 MW.

Power outages have continued in the capital continued today to hit homes, shops and businesses alike, exacerbating public frustration with the government and Congress.

The worst hit areas have been Janzour in the far west of the city and Arrada (near Suq Al Juma) in the east. Residents of both report having had cuts totalling up to 12 hours a day. In Abu Sleem it has been as much as ten hours and in places such as Ghut Shaal, Zanata and Bab Ben Ghashir, outages totalling between four to six hours are reported. In the centre of Tripoli, they have been far less.

Power cuts in the east of the country are likely to continue, however.  The Sarir power station is still closed as a result of Tebu protestors blockading fuel supplies. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredgasLibyaRuwaisTripoliWafa gas field

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Bureaucracy hampers clearance of half-sunk Navy warships

Bureaucracy hampers clearance of half-sunk Navy warships

Confusion over appointment of Derna military supremo

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.