No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Municipal elections start on Saturday

byMichel Cousins
December 30, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 26 November 2013:

Elections for Libya’s new municipalities start on Saturday with polls in Beida, Bint Baya, Shahat and . . .[restrict]Tazerbu.

They will be the first of a rolling series of municipal contests. The following Saturday there will be elections in Awjila, Traghen, Wadi Itba and Zintan.

On 14 December, they will be held in Ghariyan and Al-Haraba and, a week later on Saturday, 21 December, in Ajilat, Hawamid, Kikla, Nisma and Zultan.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL congratulates citizens of 26 municipalities for successful conduct of local elections – calls for holding of suspended elections

France, Germany, Italy, the UK and US welcome 58 municipal election results across Libya

The contests are seen as something of a triumph for the Central Committee for Municipal Councils Elections (CCMCE) which has carried on working in the face of numerous obstacles and delays to ensure they happen.

Registrations have been slow and had to be extended. There has been a threatened boycott of all elections from the Amazigh because of anger over the number of seats reserved for them on the 60-member Constitutional Committee as well as an appeal to Congress by the head of the High National Election Commission, Nuri Elabbar, to postpone them because they would distract from the Constitutional Committee elections.

Additionally, there have been attempts by the Prime Minister to convince Congress that he be allowed to appoint the heads of the Municipal Councils, plus his decision to reduce the number of municipalities from 99 to 90 and redraw the boundaries of some of them.

“Everything is moving well,” said the chairman of CCMCE, Otman Gajiji. All election equipment is in place in the first four locations, he says: voters and candidates are registered, candidates have been campaigning, the counting officers and overseers have been trained, and everything is set according to international standards.

Campaigning will stop on Thursday, with Friday a quiet day. In Beida, he noted, there are 40 candidates – all men – standing for the five general seats, three women candidates for the one seat reserved for a female councillor, and six candidates for the seat reserved for war-wounded revolution veterans.

Polling will start at 8 am and end at 8 pm, Gajiji added. There will be a number of local and invited international observers in attendance.

“We expect a high turnout.  People have indicated they want to vote despite the security situation.”

The count will take up to 48 hours. “The results could be by Sunday afternoon, or early Monday,” he said.

The first task of the new councillors will be to meet and choose a mayor. That election will also be supervised by the local CCMCE sub-committee. The municipal councils will then take over from the old local councils which will case to exist.

The only hiccup so far has been the decision to postpone the poll in Ghat which should also have voted on Saturday, because of delays in candidates’ approval by the Political Isolation Law Standards Authority.

Gajiji is confident that all will go according to plan. “We don’t have any problems”, he said, “and I don’t foresee any either”. [/restrict]

Tags: BeidaCentral Committee for Municipal Councils ElectionsLibyaLocal ElectionsShahat

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Sebha cultural festival to be held in early December

Pro-Benghazi protests in Tripoli

Pro-Benghazi protests in Tripoli

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.