No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tebu protestors in Kufra and Rebyana threaten local power station

byNigel Ash
November 25, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tebu protestors in Kufra and Rebyana threaten local power station

Tebu's protest their "marginalisation"

By Libya Herald staff.

Tebu's protest their "marginalisation"
Tebu’s protest their “marginalisation”

Tripoli, 24 November 2013:

Angry Tebu tribesmen from Kufra and Rebyana have been protesting for the third successive day . . .[restrict]at what they say is their marginalisation and neglect, first under the Qaddafi regime and now in Free Libya. If government demands for improvements are not met with 48 hours, they are threatening to disrupt power production at Al-Sareer.

Kufra is now a divided town since fighting earlier this year between the Tebu and the Zway majority, left 150 Tebu dead and more than 400 injured.  A reconciliation committee from the Jebel Nafusa restored an uneasy peace. However, concentrated in the neighbourhoods of Gadarfai and Shura, the Tebu now find themselves separated from most basic services, including hospitals and banks, which are now in Zway areas of the town, 5,000 of whose 70,000 inhabitants are Tebu.

Mohamed Seeda, the president of the protest committee and a Tebu civil society activist told the Libya Herald today that there were no Tebu members on the Kufra town council. He is leading a call for a separate council to be set up in Kufra, which will cover the Tebu minority.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A similar new administration, and budget, is wanted for Rebyana, a town of 4,000 people, almost all Tebu. Though 150 kilometres away, it is administered by Kufra. It has no mains electricity, fuel station, proper hospital nor school, said Seeda.

Along with the Amazigh who demand the constitutional recognition of the Amazigh language, the Tebus of Libya want their language to be recognised as well.

Seeda warned today: “If not agreement is not reached in the committee of sixty to guarantee our constitutional rights, then we will not take part in it. We were patient for 42 years and another two years after the Libyan Revolution and we will not end the sit-in until all of our demands are met”.

With contributions by Houda Mzioudet and Jamal Issa.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGNCKufralanguageLibyaRebyanaTebuthreats

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
BREAKING NEWS: Fierce fighting in Benghazi

BREAKING NEWS: Fierce fighting in Benghazi

Abu Sleem rubbish dump to be closed as cleaning funds finally released

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.