No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Two out of three Benghazi hospital A&E departments shut to protest violence

byNigel Ash
August 27, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Two out of three Benghazi hospital A&E departments shut to protest violence

Only the Benghazi Medical Centre is now providing A&E cover for the city

Ayman Amzain

Only the Benghazi Medical Centre is now providing A&E cover for the city

Benghazi, 26 August 2013:

With two of the city’s three hospitals  accident and emergency departments now closed by strikes, Benghazi is . . .[restrict]tonight heading for crisis.

Since Al-Jelaa and Hawari hospitals shut their A&E facilities in protest at continued violence against staff members, Benghazi Medical Centre has been the sole large-scale provider of A&E cover. As a result it is having to turn away all but the most critical cases.

Last Friday for instance, BMC doctors only agreed to treat the two most serious case of food-poisoning among 127 scouts who had been taken ill at a summer camp.  A&E staff at Al-Jelaa had that same day gone on strike in protest at violence in and around the hospital, which had included a gun attack on two security guards. Though Al-Jelaa’s medical professionals said that they would continue to treat in-patients, they insisted that A&E would close, for at least a fortnight,  along with all other outpatient clinics

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Then yesterday it was the turn of doctors and nurses at Hawari hospital’s accident and emergency ward to close their facility, following the beating up of nurses by people who had forced their way into the department.

Hani Arabi, the press officer at Hawari told the Libya Herald that some visitors accompanying some casualties, tried to come into the emergency room. When they were asked to leave, they began smashing equipment and hitting staff.

The A&E personnel have copied their Al-Jelaa colleagues in shutting down their department for a fortnight. In-patients are reportedly unaffected.

With BMC now covering only the most urgent emergencies from the entire city and wider region, there are serious problems for those with serious but non-life-threatening injuries and conditions. It is reported that two private hospitals, Al-Marowa and Al-Tarek are taking in casualties. However, not everyone can afford to pay for emergency treatment.

[/restrict]

Tags: Al-JelaaattacksBenghazi Medical CentreclosedHawariLibyaviolence

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Three more terrorist suspects arrested in Benghazi

Three more terrorist suspects arrested in Benghazi

It is normal for Ministers to resign – Zeidan

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.