No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Joint Force starts Tripoli security patrols

byNigel Ash
June 27, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Joint Force starts Tripoli security patrols

By Umar Khan,

A Joint Force patrol in Tripoli earlier this year

Tripoli, 17 August 2013:

Units of the Joint Force (JF) began to deploy this afternoon to secure the entry points . . .[restrict]to Tripoli and set up security checkpoints within the city. The JF was equipped recently after the emergency budget was made available after several security incidents.

The move was confirmed by its head of public relations, Esam Naas, who told the Libya Herald that from tonight onwards there will be regular patrols and checkpoints manned by professionals.

Naas said: “We wasted no time in finishing the preparations to go out and secure the city. This will be done in full coordination with Police directorate of Tripoli and other security forces. Our 2,000 men will be guarding the exits and entry points of Greater Tripoli, from Garabulli to Janzour and to the very south of the city.”

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Naas also said that establishing checkpoints from tonight was not because of threat of any kind but simply because the JF was ready.

He said: “There is no threat for tonight as far as we are concerned. We simply went out tonight because we were ready to secure the city.”

The head of Tripoli Local Council Sadat Elbadri hailed the move as a positive step. He told the Libya Herald “I was informed about JF forming checkpoints and securing the entrance and exits of the city. It is a good move.” Talking about the timing of the mobilisation he added, “They said they were ready to take on the duty now.”

The JF was formed in March earlier this year, with its headquarters in the Mitiga base, as a joint initiative between the two ministries, Interior & Defence to secure the city. The unit’s establishment was deliberately  limited to 2,000 selected fighters. However without proper funding and equipment,  its operations were largely limited to training and the clearing of illegally occupied building in the capital. The long-promised budget has now been available, prompted by rising security concerns.

The Joint Force is commanded by Colonel Fitouri Ghuraebi and has more than 300 ‘technicals’ and 21 armoured vehicles at its disposal. [/restrict]

Tags: checkpointsDeloymentfeaturedJoint ForceLibyapatrolsTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Renew Libya’s damaged reputation abroad – Zeidan

Renew Libya’s damaged reputation abroad – Zeidan

Corruption will not be wiped away in a day – Zeidan

Corruption will not be wiped away in a day - Zeidan

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.