No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Airport ceasefire holds despite sporadic clashes

byCallum Paton
August 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Callum Paton.

Tripoli airport damage
Tripoli airport damage (Photo: Social Media)

Tripoli, 19 July 2014:

A ceasefire agreed to by armed groups battling to control Tripoli airport has held so . . .[restrict]far, despite occasional clashes, as mediators continue to exert pressure on the combatants.

The agreement, announced two days ago, and brokered by Tripoli Local Council has brought to an end fighting at the airport between Zintani and Misratan-led armed brigades. The clashes have caused millions of dinars worth of damage and killed dozens.

The former head of Tripoli Local Council, Sadat Elbadri, who helped broker the ceasefire told the Libya Herald that over the course of negotiations it had become clear neither side wished to continue the conflict. “The ceasefire is still in effect. It is holding and the people do not want to fight,” he said.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Libya and Qatar sign MoU to prepare studies for Tripoli International Airport investment project vision

Elbadri said his greatest concern was the safety of residents in Qasr Ben Ghashir. Houses in the area, not far from the northern boundary of the airport, had been subjected to nightly shelling over the five days of fighting as Zintani brigades returned fire at Misratan-led forces stationed there. “They were being bombed. The people wanted the fighting to stop and the forces to leave the area,” he said.

Despite causing considerable material damage, the rockets which fell on Qasr Ben Ghashir did not result in any civilian casualties.

Elbadri said while the main combatants had not resumed hostilities there were other challenges facing negotiators. He said the Zintani brigades had only at the last minute agreed to withdraw from the airport having asserted up to that point they were an official force and under no obligation to go.

One representative from the Misratan-led forces had said the ceasefire only applied to the airport itself and did not mean offensives could not be launched elsewhere. “We are trying to put  pressure of the parties and hopefully they will leave; there is still a lot of work going on to secure the area,” Elbadri said.

He named the media in particular for difficulties in ending the clashes. “They were 100 percent to blame for the escalation,” he said. He added  that Tripoli Council had been forced to act because of the failure of the government to bring about an end to the crisis. “The government has not helped and the police and army are still not present,” he said.

Although the worst of the fighting has ended, the brigades remain. Elbadri said it was crucial that the combatants adhere to the General National Congress’ decision last year that all armed militias leave the capital. The order was stipulated once again in the ceasefire .

A neutral force from the Amazigh town of Jadu is set to arrive at the airport to secure it and all armed groups are ordered to return to their respective towns and cities as part of the ceasefire. The brigades have just under two weeks to leave.

[/restrict]

Tags: airportceasefirefeaturedLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Attack on police station latest in a series of Tripoli bombings

Attack on police station latest in a series of Tripoli bombings

Sharp increase in cost of goods in Tripoli as fuel crisis deepens

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.