No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ukrainian ship held in Benghazi for seventh day

bythomwestcott
July 25, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Tom Westcott.

Tripoli, 25 July 2013:

A Ukrainian car transporter and its 19 man crew, being held over claims a . . .[restrict]sister ship was used to hijack and divert a Libya-bound vehicle consignment to the Ukraine, have spent a seventh day at Benghazi Port.

For the last three days security personnel have been stationed by the vessel, following an altercation between the ship’s captain and some locals.

“The captain called radio control and said people were making problems for him in the accommodation,” Benghazi Port Manager Mustafa Al-Abar told the Libya Herald, “so we put security officers between the people and the crew.”

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

The people who went aboard the vessel are thought to be angry Benghazi businessmen who say they were robbed of 597 cars worth LD 12 million in March this year. There had been reports that a local militia had become involved with the case, but Al-Abar said the businessmen were “very quiet people, with no guns.”

He added that there had been no problems for the last two days, since the security men had been installed.

The ship, Etel, and its 19 Ukrainian crew, have been held since the vessel berthed in Benghazi and discharged a shipment of some 220 cars. Etel is the same design as Faina, the vessel that took the disputed 597 cars to the Ukraine.

Nearly 600 cars were loaded onto Faina at Jordan’s Aqaba Port. The vessel should then have sailed to Benghazi but changed course and went instead to the Ukraine. The vehicles were impounded by the port authorities upon arrival, according to an official Ukrainian source, and an investigation was opened.

“It is a puzzling crime,” the official admitted to the Libya Herald, “and a complicated one to investigate.” This is made more challenging because the boat was sailing under the flag of one country, understood to be Belize, and was manned by Ukrainian crew. The owner of Faina is understood to be Ukrainian, although it has not yet been confirmed whether the company also owns Etel.

The Faina does not appear to have made another voyage since its trip to Jordan. According to vessel-tracker websites, it is currently located in Ukraine’s Illichivsk Port and its last port of call was Jordan’s Aqaba Port on 6 March this year.

The crew is understood to be in good health and, if they need any supplies, Al-Abar told the Libya Herald, they can get these through their Benghazi agent.

The Benghazi-based businessmen are demanding the return of either the missing cars or the cash they paid for them, according to a Benghazi Port official. He said they had paid for the cars, as well as loading and port fees in Jordan, but had been left with nothing. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziBenghazi Portcargoimported carsLibyashipshippingUkraine

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Tripoli fire fighters call for support to control warehouse blaze

Tripoli fire fighters call for support to control warehouse blaze

Assassinations seem systematic – Interior Minister Mohamed Sheikh

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.