No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Shipload of ‘stolen’ cars returned to Benghazi, but ‘ransom’ ship not yet released

bythomwestcott
August 31, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Shipload of ‘stolen’ cars returned to Benghazi, but ‘ransom’ ship not yet released

The 597 cars were shipped to Libya in Greek-operated vessel MV Sea Amazon (Photo: Mediterranean Car-Carriers Line)

By Tom Westcott and Seraj Essul.

The 597 cars were shipped to Libya from the Ukraine in Greek-operated vessel MV Sea Amazon (Photo: Mediterranean Car-Carriers Line)

Tripoli, 30 August 2013:

A shipment of Benghazi-bound cars commandeered and taken to the Ukraine in March . . .[restrict]has finally arrived in Libya, but a sister ship held ‘ransom’ in the dispute has not yet been released.

A Greek ship carrying the 597 cars arrived in Benghazi Port on Wednesday and the vehicles were unloaded yesterday, five months later than expected. The cars, purchased from Jordan in March by a group of Benghazi businessmen, should have been delivered straight to Libya. However, for reasons that remain unclear, the vessel, MV Faina, instead took them to the Ukraine, where the ship’s operator Tomex Team was based.

Four months later, when another Tomex Team-operated vessel, MV Etel, arrived in Benghazi with a different shipment of cars, the businessmen who had spent four months pursuing legal means to get their vehicles back from the Ukraine took matters into their own hands. They seized the Etel and said they would hold it until their 597 cars were returned, securing a court order within a week.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

The cars, impounded since March by the Ukrainian government, were finally released two weeks ago, following high-level meetings between Ukrainian diplomatic staff and Libyan ministers.

The businessmen had said that once the cars were returned, Etel would be released. However, because it is still subject to a court order, the vessel has not yet been able to set sail.

“We don’t have permission to release the ship because we have to wait for a new court order,” Benghazi Port Manager Mustafa Al-Abar told the Libya Herald. He added that the 19 crew, however, were free to leave as soon as they wanted.

Although Al-Abar said he thought the Etel would be released as soon as legal procedures had been finalised by the court, the Benghazi businessmen seem to be divided as to the fate of the cargo ship.

One, Abd Al-Rauf Al-Tajoury, said that the Etel could be released this weekend. Another, however, insisted the vessel would be held until Tomex Team handed over compensation for losses incurred over the last five months.

“The ship will not be released this weekend, because we have a court session booked for 29 September,” investor Nasser Ajaj, told the Libya Herald. He said with the delays, legal fees and shipping costs, the group had lost a lot of money on the deal and were demanding LD 1 million in compensation.

The investors also wanted an additional LD 188,000 to reflect port fees, handling and shipping expenses clocked up since the cars were first loaded in Jordan, Ajaj said.

He pointed out that the cars have lost value during the five months they have been held in the Ukraine. When purchased in March, vehicles were very expensive in Libya but, with many Libyans now importing cars from Europe, Ajaj said the value of secondhand cars had plummeted.

Al-Abar said that most of the investors had promised that Etel would be released when the cars were returned, adding: “They should stick to their promises.”

The captain of the ship, Mykhailo Cononow, declined to speak to the Libya Herald. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazicargocarsfeaturedLibyashippingUkraine

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

"We will not hand over Saif Al-Islam" says Zintan

National Dialogue must be reach out to all sections of society: Congress official

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.