No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ukrainian boat clocks up a month’s “imprisonment” at Benghazi Port

bythomwestcott
August 17, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Tom Westcott.

Tripoli, 17 August 2013:

A Ukrainian vessel held over a dispute about a shipment of cars allegedly commandeered earlier in . . .[restrict]the year by a sister ship, has now spent four weeks in Benghazi Port.

The local businessmen who seized the vessel insist that MV Etel will not be released until 597 “stolen” cars have been returned from the Ukraine.

“We are keeping the ship until we get our cars,” Abd Al-Rauf Al-Tajoury, one of a group of 25 Benghazi businessmen who bought the cars from Jordan, told the Libya Herald. He said that the group had this week sent a Turkish ship to the Ukraine to collect the cars.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Pretrial detention of three former heads of Libyan mission in Ukraine for corruption for ‘‘hundreds of thousands’’ in hard currency

The vehicles, worth some $16 million, were due to be shipped from Jordan to Benghazi in March on MV Faina, a vessel operated by Ukrainian firm Tomex Team. However, after coming up through the Suez canal, the Faina changed direction and took the cars to the Ukraine, where they were impounded upon arrival.

The Benghazi investors spent four months unsuccessfully trying to get the cars back through official means, including starting legal proceedings against the operator. When they heard that another vessel, Etel – also operated by Tomex Team – was coming to Benghazi, they took matters into their own hands.

On 18 July, after the vessel’s cargo had been unloaded, the investors seized the ship. Although initially held “unofficially,” a court order was secured from Benghazi’s north courthouse, just before it was bombed, to hold the vessel officially.

After a number of high-level meetings, including one between senior ministerial and diplomatic personnel, an agreement was apparently reached.

“A deal has been made to swap the cars in the Ukraine for the boat,” Benghazi Port Manager Mustafa Al-Abar told the Libya Herald, “and releasing the boat is dependent on the cars being sent.”

The Ukrainian government, which held the shipment since March pending investigation, has released the vehicles. “The cars were released as soon as the government had worked out who owned them,” a diplomatic source told the Libya Herald: “The matter is now in private hands, and is between the car owners and the shipping company.”

Al-Tajoury said the cars could be brought back to Benghazi in a matter of days.

However, the captain, sick of being confined to the 124 metre-long vessel for a month, does not seem so convinced. “Nobody knows what’s going on, and nobody has clarified anything, but it’s not true that the boat is coming from the Ukraine,” the Captain of the Etel – who declined to give his name – told the Libya Herald. “Now we are prisoners,” he said, “we have to stay on board the ship and there is not enough space.”

There is suspicion in Benghazi that the cars were being held by the Ukraine as a bargaining tool for 24 prisoners imprisoned in Libya after being found guilty of working as Qaddafi mercenaries during the revolution.

“It’s a political thing,” Al-Tajoury insisted, “before we seized this ship, the Ukrainians told us if Libya released the Ukrainian prisoners, they would give the cars back. But they didn’t know we would do something like this.”

The Faina, unable to leave the Ukraine while under investigation, set sail for the first time in five months on 14 August, according to vessel-tracking websites. This was the same day that 19 of the Ukrainians had their sentences cancelled and their cases turned over to the civil courts.

This is not the first time the Faina has courted controversy. In 2008 the vessel, carrying 33 Soviet-made T-72 tanks and heavy weaponry apparently destined for South Sudan, was stormed by Somali pirates. It was held for five months before a ransom of $3.2 million secured its release. [/restrict]

Tags: boatEtelFainaLibyaUkraine

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Ministry branches to open in Benghazi – Zeidan

Ministry branches to open in Benghazi - Zeidan

State intelligence gathering agency necessary – Zeidan

State intelligence gathering agency necessary - Zeidan

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.