No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Petroleum Facilities Guards clash in Tripoli’s Salahaddin area

byNihal Zaroug
June 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Petroleum Facilities Guards clash in Tripoli’s Salahaddin area

The Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) headquarter in Tripoli's Salah Al-Din (Photo: PFG Facebook)

By Nihal Zaroug.

The Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) headquarter in Tripoli’s Salah Al-Din (Photo: PFG Facebook)

Tripoli, 25 June 2013:

An armed clash at the headquarters of the Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) in Tripoli’s Salahaddin district . . .[restrict]today has resulted in the injury of six people, three of them bystanders. One of bystanders needed surgery and remains in critical condition.

According to the official Facebook of the PFGs, at precisely 12:15, a heavily armed Zintani unit tasked with guarding the Sharara Oil field in the south of Libya, attacked the headquarters causing damage to the building and wounding three of its guards, one of whom was seriously wounded. The unit used neighbouring buildings to mount its “indiscriminate” assault, resulting in significant damage in the area.

Police car damaged in the clash (Photo: PFG Facebook)

Despite efforts by the authorities to negotiate with the attackers and ease the tension, a clash ensued and was only brought to an end by the arrival of Special Forces, who pursued the assailants when they fled the scene.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The PFG falls under the remit of  the Ministry of Defense and back up was sent to assist the guards.

An PFG employee told the Libya Herald that an investigation would take place and action against the attackers would be taken. This was confirmed by an statement posted on the PFG’s English Facebook page, which read: “The PFG will not tolerate any such criminal acts and intends to take strict disciplinary actions against any whom wish to disturb law, order, security and endanger the lives of civilians.”

According the the Solidarity news agency, it was informed by anonymous sources that the violence was in protest over unpaid salaries for securing oil facilities in the south. Other reports claim the attack was over drilling equipment removed from the Sharara oil field.

Calm was not restored once the assailants fled. A resident of the area told the Libya Herald that a second, unrelated clash occurred at around 15:00 in which armed residents of the Hay Al-Zohoor area in Salahaddin district attacked the offices of the Mohamed Al-Madani Brigade, housed in the same street as the PFG headquarters. The residents were protesting against the presence of the brigade but the attack only resulted in further chaos, the complete closure of the Salahaddin area and increased tension.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaPetroleum Faculty GuardPFGSalahaddinTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Libya faces tough environmental challenges say the South Koreans

Opinion: My 2 cents - Gender Equality and Libya’s Economic and Human Development

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.