No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Canada fears “persistent lawlessness” in Libya

byNigel Ash
May 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Canada fears “persistent lawlessness” in Libya

Foreign Minister John Baird: "Canada is increasingly concerned"

Tripoli, 3 May 2013:

Foreign Minister John Baird: “Canada is increasingly concerned”

Canada today joined the rising tide of international concern at the surrounding of Tripoli ministries by militiamen who . . .[restrict]are demanding the Political Isolation Legislation be passed by the GNC on Sunday.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said: “Canada is increasingly concerned over the persistent lawlessness in Libya, notably the armed groups that have besieged a number of government offices”.

The Canadian politician pledged the Ottawa government’s backing for Libya: “Canada fully supports the government of Prime Minister Ali Zeidan, ” he said,  “and calls on the Libyan government to exercise its proper authority in ensuring stability and security for its citizens and members of the diplomatic and business communities.”

Baird warned: “The Libyan revolution brought freedom to the Libyan people who have since embarked on a path toward full democracy and respect for the rule of law and human rights. The actions of a few risk these important achievements”.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government confirms three track security policy: supporting regular army, ending gangs and armed outlaw groups and maintaining stability

Mouta’alleq 3 Project holds Job Fair for ex-militias

Canada’s intervention echoes strong concerns expressed by the French Foreign Ministry yesterday. A statement issued by the Quai d’Orsay read: “France strongly condemns the siege by militias, of various Libyan ministries. Such unacceptable acts are impeding the proper functioning of government. These repeated incidents highlight the urgency of restoring security in Libya”.

The French foreign ministry urged all Libyans to rally around the Zeidan government and the GNC, as the only legitimate authority since the July 2012 elections. It also urged citizens to rebuilt the new Libya on the basis of national unity, tolerance, dignity and peace and in particular stressed the urgent need to adopt a new constitution.

It concluded: “As we recalled after the attack against our embassy in Tripoli last week, France intends to stand alongside Libya. It reiterates its full support for the ongoing transition process and the establishment of a rule of law, based on democratic institutions and respect for freedoms, in accordance with the aspirations of the Libyan people”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: CanadaFranceLibyamilitiasministries

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Benghazi protest broken up

Libya gears up for Isolation Law vote as Revolutionaries talk of removing Zeidan

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.