No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

DNA samples help identify bodies from Bin Jawad mass grave

bythomwestcott
March 16, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
DNA samples help identify bodies from Bin Jawad mass grave

Using DNA samples, ICMP has identified over half the bodies found in the Bin Jawad mass grave (Photo: ICMP)

Using DNA samples, ICMP has identified over . . .[restrict]half the bodies found in the Bin Jawad mass grave (Photo: ICMP)

Tripoli, 16 March 2013:

Over half of the bodies found in the Bin Jawad mass grave in the Sirte district have now been identified, according to the International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP).

In a statement today, Saturday, it said that its analysis of skeletal and blood-reference samples had produced 93 positive DNA matches connected to the Bin Jawad case.

The ICMP said it: “carried out the DNA analysis in its laboratories and compared the profiles of post-mortem samples with blood reference samples obtained from families of the missing.”

The Libyan authorities who submitted the samples will now need to inform the families that their relatives have been identified and officially close those cases.

RELATED POSTS

National Council for General Liberties and Human Rights launches ‘Mafqoud’, a national media campaign on missing persons

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

“ICMP is committed to assisting the Libyan Government continue to develop its capability to address this painful issue,” said ICMP Director General Kathryne Bomberger. “We hope that by expediting this process we will bring long-awaited answers to families of the missing who have waited to learn the fate of their loved ones.”

Bin Jawad was the scene of intense fighting during the revolution, resulting in up to 60 deaths with a further 700 people declared missing. The mass grave, which was unearthed in December 2011, contained the remains of some 170 rebel fighters killed during the Battle of Bin Jawad.

The ICMP also found two positive matches not connected to Bin Jawad which, it said, pertained to “persons whose unidentified mortal remains were kept in a refrigerator in a Tripoli hospital since 1984.”

This project was funded by the UK, which pledged $650,000 to the ICMP in February this year to help Libya find and name those who disappeared under the old regime.

The Libyan government signed a cooperation agreement with the ICMP in November last year. As part of this project, the organisation is helping to create a Libyan Identification Centre, as well as training Libyans to become experts in the recovery and identification of bodies. [/restrict]

Tags: Bin JawadDNAICMPidentificationLibyamissing persons

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
The Korean Knowledge Sharing Programme with Libya: Can Libya learn from Korea’s experience – from 1950’s conflict to 1990’s development?

The Korean Knowledge Sharing Programme with Libya: Can Libya learn from Korea’s experience - from 1950’s conflict to 1990’s development?

Prisoner deal signed with Iraq

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.