No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Niger ready to hand Saadi Qaddafi to the International Criminal Court

byGeorge Grant
November 25, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Niger ready to hand Saadi Qaddafi to the International Criminal Court

Saadi Qaddafi (File photo)

By George Grant.

Saadi Qaddafi has been taking refuge in Niger for the past 14 months.

Tripoli, 25 November:

Niger’s President Mahamadou Issofou has said his government is ready to hand Saadi Qaddafi over to the . . .[restrict]International Criminal Court should the body request it to do so.

To date, the ICC has not issued a warrant for Saadi’s arrest, and will not request his extradition unless that position changes. On 7 November, however, the ICC’s Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda revealed that the court was investigating crimes allegedly committed by both Qaddafi regime members and revolutionaries during last year’s revolution, and may bring a new case in the near future.

Issofou’s offer is likely to infuriate the government in Tripoli, with Libya having issued several futile requests to Niger to hand Saadi over in the past year.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Transport Minister seeking to activate Transit Roads to Niger and Sudan

Libyan Railroads preparing economic feasibility studies with Italy’s ITALFERR for Chad-Niger rail link

A member of his father’s inner circle, Saadi commanded the regime’s special forces during the revolution and it is claimed that he personally ordered his men to shoot unarmed protesters at the outset of the conflict, an allegation which Saadi denies. On 4 March 2011, Interpol announced it had issued a Red Notice for Saadi’s arrest, although only on charges of theft.

The ICC is only mandated to try the most serious crimes, including war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide, and only in such cases as the domestic authorities of any country are deemed either unable or unwilling to do so.

“On the extradition of Saadi Qaddafi… this will be done in accordance with international laws and the rule of law, and we are ready to comply with these laws”, Issofou said yesterday. “If asked by the International Criminal Court to deliver Qaddaf’s son, we are ready to place him at its disposal”.

The president also took the opportunity to describe relations between Niger and Libya as “excellent”, adding that his government was working on improving relations with all neighbouring states “and Libya in particular”.

On 21 November Prime Minister Ali Zeidan received Nigerien Ambassador Hussein Malaol at his office in Tripoli, where the two men discussed bilateral relations across a range of fields, including security and the economy. On 6 May, Libya and Niger signed a bilateral cooperation accord in the fields of security, politics, the economy, investment and transport.

Relations between Libya and Niger have been severely tested over the past year, with the government in Niamey refusing to hand Saadi over, along with several other Qaddafi loyalists taking refuge in the country, citing “humanitarian considerations”.

In September it was rumoured that South Africa was preparing to grant asylum to Saadi, pending a decision by the United Nations to let him leave Niger. He is currently the subject of a travel-ban imposed by the UN Security Council.

Back in March, relations between Niamey and Tripoli nosedived after Issofou announced that he had appointed Bashir Saleh Bashir as one of his advisors and granted him a diplomatic passport. Bashir was one of Qaddafi’s closest advisors and former head of the Libyan African Portfolio. The decision was rescinded eight days later. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredICCInternational Criminal CourtInterpolLibyanigerSaadi QaddafiSaifSenussi

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
All deputy ministers dismissed by Ali Zeidan

All deputy ministers dismissed by Ali Zeidan

Surprise guests add value to the Libya Summit

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

LFB recovering funds in several locations secretly to protect the funds and process: LFB Chairman Addarrat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.