No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Liberation anniversary gets mixed response

byMichel Cousins
October 24, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 24 October:

Tuesday’s first anniversary of the declaration of liberation from the Qaddafi regime on 23 October last year drew markedly different reactions . . .[restrict]from Libya’s friends, local organisations and the general public.

From foreign government there was support, qualified by concerns about security. However, organisations in Libya were generally more critical while the general public were largely uninterested, despite it being a public holiday.

In similar vein to the British government’s positive support, the French government congratulated Libya for its democratic development in the 12 months since liberation.

However, many challenges remain, said a statement yesterday from the French foreign ministry.

RELATED POSTS

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

“We very much want to see security, essential to the development of democracy, rapidly achieved”, Paris said, urging Libyans to work for national reconciliation. It hoped that a government would soon be formed to address the issue.

However, as the first foreign country to support the Libyan revolution, it said it remained committed to Libya and would work to help it build a state of law.

Rather differently, the NGO Lawyers for Justice in Libya (LFJL) saw the anniversary as an occasion to take the authorities to task.

“Over the past year, many promises for Libya’s transition to democracy, respect for the rule of law and protection and promotion of human rights have been made by Libya’s interim authorities”, said an FLJL  statement. “As the country celebrates its liberation after four decades of Gaddafi rule, LFJL calls on the Libyan government to deliver on these promises.”

Libyans had heard “a lot of rhetoric about democratic promotion, respect for human rights and the pursuit of justice from Libya officials,” LFJL Director Elham Saudi said. “It is time this rhetoric is turned into reality.”

Some developments, notably the elections for the General National Congress, had “inspired hope” for the country’s future, a statement said. But the use of “disproportionate violence in Bani Walid, the continued discrimination and violence waged against the people of Tawergha, the indiscriminate attacks on religious shrines, the continued arbitrary detention of hundreds of people without recourse to justice and the reported torture of detainees mark a growing stain on Libya’s transition”.

The authorities had to start taking justice seriously. “The lack of interest in bringing perpetrators of human rights violations to account has made periodic statements about pursuing justice ring hollow”, the statement said. “Without concerted efforts to achieve accountability, build respect for the rule of law and promote human rights, the government risks building Libya’s transition on a false foundation.”

From the public there was far more interest in last minute pre-Eid shopping and concern at the higher costs than last year. The latter appears to have consolidated a distinct lack of enthusiasm toward the anniversary and the country’s political leaders generally. [/restrict]

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Mangoush marks first anniversary of Libya's liberation in Benghazi

Water returns to Tripoli

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.