No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya incapable of investigating its war criminals say leading lawyers

byNigel Ash
November 1, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

LFJL

Tunis, 31 October 2017:

Libyan leading civil and human rights lawyers have concluded that Libya cannot pursue its own war criminals and human rights violators.  Lawyers for Justice in Libya  (LFJL) says that it is therefore looking to the International Criminal Court (ICC) to intercede.

LFJL Director, Elham Saudi explained that the massacre in Al-Abyar was “another example of the impunity enjoyed by armed groups in Libya. Despite repeated promises to investigate serious violations, the Libyan state has yet to hold a single individual accountable for murdering, torturing and abusing civilians and those who have been captured or injured following the 2011 uprising”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

It was now therefore up to others to act. “Given the total lack of deterrence mechanisms on the ground,” she said, “there is an urgent need for the ICC proactively to pursue accountability in Libya and deter the commission of further crimes”.

The LFJL noted that the ICC had issued a warrant for the arrest of Saiqa Special Forces major Mahmoud Warfali in connection with the execution of 33 people.  But it added that the ICC prosecutor  “should also consider and expedite investigations into similar crimes committed in Al-Abyar which amount to war crimes and crimes against humanity”.

The LFJL echoed UNSMIL chief Ghassan Salamé’s despair following the latest killings that no one has been held accountable for any of the massacres and summary executions carried out in recent years.

LFJL said today: “These summary executions constitute a war crime and a crime against humanity given that they have been committed in a widespread and systematic nature”.

It noted that the Presidency Council’s Justice Ministry had condemned the crime at Al-Abyar in which 36 handcuffed men were shot, mostly through the head and their bodies dumped beside a road outside the town.  It has called for the public prosecutor to investigate.

However, LFJL also pointed out that the public prosecutor has failed to take any steps to investigate any such crimes in the past.  “This has perpetuated the culture of impunity and the institutionalisation for human rights violations by the Libyan state” it said.

Tags: Al-AbyarfeaturedGhassan SalaméICCLawyers for Justice in LibyaLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
HoR and State council negotiations to amend LPA “must succeed” says Majbri

HoR and State council negotiations to amend LPA “must succeed” says Majbri

Turkey denies plans to reopen its Benghazi consulate

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.