No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyans held in Iraq expected home “in 48 hours”

byMichel Cousins
September 8, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 8 September.

Eight Libyans being held in Iraq are expected to return to Libya in the next 48 hours, . . .[restrict]the Libya Herald has been told by the Minister of Justice, Ali Ashour Ehmida.

A team lead by the Deputy Justice Minister, Khalifa Ashur, is in Baghdad to take custody of the eight and bring them back. According to the Justice Minister, the four have already been handed over to his deputy. There were problems over documentation with the other four but that was expected to be resolved quickly.

The eight have not been named but are believed to be the same eight who at the end of June were ordered to be released by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki. According to the Iraqi official in charge of relations with Libya, Hazem Jabouri, they had been jailed for fighting against Iraqi and coalition forces.

RELATED POSTS

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Taha Shakshuki of the Libyan Group for Demanding Libyan Prisoners Abroad says that the eight were all serving seven-year sentences, the maximum for taking up arms against Iraqi forces. Almost all, he adds, are from the east of the country, from Derna, Tobruk and Ajdabiya.

On Wednesday government spokesman Nasser Al-Manaa announced that a team would be going to Iraq to see about bringing Libyan prisoners home.  There had been a “breakthrough” in the case, he said. As a result, a new era in Libyan-Iraqi relations was anticipated.

Iraqi reports have in the past claimed there were as many as 200 Libyans held in Iraq on various offences. Some were said to be members of Al-Qaeda. Libyan officials, however, say there are far fewer. Last month, Manaa said there were just 18 Libyan prisoners in Iraq although the number of Libyans who had gone missing there was higher — around 80, he said. Their whereabouts, however, were unknown.

Shahshuki puts the number of Libyans in Iraqi jails at 22. All had been been convicted. They include the eight about to be released and four who have been sentenced to death. The rest have been sentenced to life imprisonment. Those on death row include one who was convicted of planting a bomb in a market which killed 11 Shiites, Shakshuki said.

It appears those on death row will not be released.  Shakshuki says that the Libyan government is not seeking the release of those convicted of crimes such as murder.

Two Libyans are reported to have been executed already in Iraq.

The issue of Libyans held in Iraqi jails has been on-going for several months.  In February, Manaa flew to Baghdad in vain to try and negotiate their release.  At the time, he was told by Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki that that the matter had to remain in the hands of the Iraqi courts. They had “the sole right to consider this matter”.   Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari likewise said that while Iraq wanted to solve the issue of Libyan prisoners in the country, it had to be done “on a legal and judicial basis”.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Expansion work starts on Benghazi Medical Centre

Libyan war documentary at Venice Film Festival

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.