No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

FBI team arrives in Tripoli to investigate Benghazi attacks

byGeorge Grant
September 19, 2012
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
FBI team arrives in Tripoli to investigate Benghazi attacks

US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton

US Secretary of State Hilary . . .[restrict]Clinton said the investigation would continue until those responsible for the attacks were found and punished.

Tripoli, 19 September:

An FBI team has arrived in Tripoli to join the investigation by Libyan officials into the murder of US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three of his colleagues in Benghazi last week.

The announcement was made by US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton at a press conference in Washington yesterday.

“The FBI is now in Tripoli to join the investigation with Libyan officials, and there is nothing more important to us than ensuring the safety of our American representatives worldwide,” Clinton told reporters.

“We are working closely with the Libyan government in our efforts to bring to justice those who murdered our four American colleagues in Benghazi… We will not rest until the people who orchestrated this attack are found and punished.”

RELATED POSTS

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Several people have thus far been arrested in connection with the assault, which took place on the 11th anniversary of the 11 September 2001 attacks on the United States, although conflicting reports have emerged as to exactly how many have been taken into custody.

This morning, Prime Minister-elect said he believed “seven or eight” people had been arrested, although National Congress leader Mohammed Magarief said on Sunday that the number was as high as 50.

That figure was later clarified by Interior Minister Fawzi Abdelal, who said on the same day that only four people had been arrested, and that 50 were under investigation.

At present, the finger of suspicion is pointing at the Ansar Al-Sharia brigade as being responsible for the attacks, although the Islamist group has denied any involvement.

It has previously been reported that members of the brigade are amongst those who have been arrested.

The FBI team will also be seeking to ascertain whether the attack was an exclusively Libyan operation, or if the assailants received external assistance, in particular from Al-Qaeda. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli local elections announced for 18 November; cost put at LD 24 million.

Bupa International and Sahara Insurance launch partnership in Libya

Bupa International and Sahara Insurance launch partnership in Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.