No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian trawlers released but questions remain

byNigel Ash
July 16, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Italian trawlers released but questions remain

The three detained trawlers in Benghazi

By Tom Westcott.
Tripoli, 16 July:

The three detained trawlers in Benghazi

Despite the release of three Italian fishing vessels and their 19 crew captured in June off . . .[restrict]the coast and detained for a month in Benghazi, the disputed presence of European fishermen in Libya’s Fisheries Protection Zone (FPZ) remains unresolved.

The Italian Consul General in Benghazi, Guido de Sanctis, told Libya Herald: “This matter has to be seen under the political aspect of the Mediterranean zone, which is important and in which Libya’s place is unique.” He added that the development of fishing in Libya in cooperation with other countries was a matter for the European Union.

Libyan waters are a major spawning ground for the endangered Bluefin Tuna, as well as crustaceans such as red prawns, a popular European seafood.

In 2005 Libya declared a FPZ stretching 62 nautical miles from the coast, within which resources would be managed by the Libyan government. Thereafter, foreign fleets were allowed to fish only with permission from the government, and were charged for so doing. This extended FPZ has not been recognised by Italy nor the wider EU.

RELATED POSTS

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

The three Italian vessels, ‘Boccia’, ‘Mistral‘ and ‘Antonio Sirrato’ all from Sicily’s main fishing port Mazaro del Vallo, were fishing for red prawns 42 miles off the Libyan coast when they were boarded by the authorities on 7 June. They were taken to Benghazi where the crews, 12 Italians and 7 Tunisians were initially held on their boats.

Their catch of red prawns was impounded. Then suspicions arose over fragments of ancient pots that been had dredged up in their nets whilst trawling. It is common for trawling nets to gather up such historic artefacts from the ocean floor.

However, there was some confusion about whether these ancient fragments might be Libyan. The fishermen were jailed for six days on suspicion of smuggling antiquities.

Once the antiquities were examined by the Department of Antiquities in Tripoli and found to be worth nothing, the crews were returned to their trawlers. There they were held for a month, awaiting a hearing in the Benghazi Court.

Despite reports in the Italian media of the crews’ mistreatment, de Sanctis said: “I don’t think they can say they have been treated badly, with the exception of the jail period.”

The whole judicial process has been marred by confusion over how the FPZ regulations are applied and the nature of the charges against the firshermen.

Initially the men from the three vessels were all charged with fishing in the FPZ. Then they were charged with stealing archaeological artefacts. A judge ruled on 4 July no artefacts had been stolen because items in question could have been found anywhere in the Mediterranean.

However, one of the boats was found guilty of fishing in the FPZ while the final verdict on the other two crews remains undecided.

The release of the three trawlers on 6 July might have heralded the end of the saga but it did not. On their planned departure day, the boats were boarded by 20 Libyans who had been authorised to strip the vessels of their valuable trawling nets. These were impounded in lieu of bail, pending the final decision of the court.

De Sanctis, who had supported the fishermen throughout their time in Libya, described how this was the last straw for these “men of humble stock”

“The thing that really scared them was on the last day, the impounding of the fishing equipment and how these people went on board and took everything out in two hours “ said de Sanctis, “That was the final shock. Our fisherman were looking forward to leave and they had to bear this final humiliation.”

The owners of the three Sicilian vessels are now awaiting a final judgement from the Benghazi court. They have paid a fine of €4,000 levied by the court and they have purchased their own catch of prawns back from the Libyan authorities, because there is no market for these crustaceans in Libya.

But they do not know whether their fishing equipment will be returned. The estimated cost of replacing the nets is €60,000 per vessel. The total economic loss for the owners, including having three boats unable to work at the height of the red prawn season, is estimated at up to €250,000.
The season is short, running only until October.

It is understood that Italian fishermen trawling for red prawns will not enter the FPZ for the remainder of this season.

De Sanctis explained: “The reasonable objective should be to be ready with cooperation programmes for next season, in order to be able to fish red prawn here. If this doesn’t happen, the situation will just go on repeating itself and is very dangerous.”

[/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Libya has the world’s slowest internet

Libya has the world's slowest internet

Update: Misrata journalists reunited with their families

Update: Misrata journalists reunited with their families

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.