Tripoli, April 28:
NTC Chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil has denied that the interim government had either been dismissed by the NTC or . . .[restrict]that it had handed in its resignation.
In a televised interview broadcast by the Al-Arabia satellite news channel yesterday, Friday, and reported by Libya’s official news agency, Abdul Jalil went on to deny that there were any confrontation or personal differences with either the government or Prime Minister Al-Kib.
After a weekend of strong rumours that Al-Kib had already been replaced, Abdul Jalil would only go as far as to admit that there were members of the NTC that were critical of the government for failing to implement its programmes and who had demanded its resignation.
However, he pointed out that this matter was discussed at the NTC meeting in a democratic manner, but that no conclusive decision was reached in view of the fact that it is a critical period and that time is limited and that it is necessary to offer support to the government.
Throwing some light on the confusion caused by the various statements to the media by various members of the NTC, Abdul Jalil stressed that the official spokesperson of the NTC was the only person authorized to speak on behalf of the NTC.
As for other members of the NTC, including himself, he added that they were not expressing official views on behalf of the NTC. What they said were their own views and for them they were personally responsible. This was, he said, all part of the democracy that erupted in Libyan society. [/restrict]