No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Oil tanker finally unloads stolen crude at Zawia

bythomwestcott
April 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Tom Westcott.

Tripoli, 5 April 2014:

The oil tanker which loaded an illegal shipment of crude from the blockaded eastern port of Sidra in early March has finally unloaded its cargo at Zawia refinery.

The unloading of the oil, understood to amount to some 230,000 barrels, was completed this morning, according to Libyan news agency LANA.

The Morning Glory was apprehended by US forces off the coast of Cyprus on 17 March, after the vessel fled into international waters with its illicitly-obtained cargo. The US intervened after receiving pleas from the Libyan and Cypriot governments and from the Captain of the ship who said the vessel was under the control of armed men and that the lives of the crew were in danger.

RELATED POSTS

Libya buys two new oil tankers – part of its 2020-23 development plan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The tanker, which had been sailing under the flag of North Korea when it arrived at Sidra Port, was also a “stateless vessel” when it was seized. It was stripped of the right to sail under that flag when it loaded the illegally-sold oil which, North Korea said, breached its contractual terms.

These armed men, three Libyans whose names have not been made public, were arrested, along with the vessel’s crew, when it arrived in Tripoli on 23 March. The Libyans were later released in a controversial move by the Attorney General. This was apparently done to help smooth negotiations between self-styled federalist leader Ibrahim Jadhran, who has controlled three eastern oil export terminals since August last year, and the government.

These supposed negotiations, which the central government has denied being part of but which the so-called ‘Cyrenaica government’ insists are ongoing, have not yet led to any resolution.

The Cyrenaica government claimed, three days ago, that a provisional deal had been brokered. Nothing came of this, however, and tonight it said negotiations were still underway.

“Hopefully we are going to make an announcement tomorrow saying that the two sides are still in discussions,” spokesman for Cyrenaica government Ali Al-Hassi told the Libya Herald this evening.

The crew, six Pakistanis – including the Captain – six Indians, three Sri Lankans, two Syrians, two Sudanese and two Eritreans, were released towards the end of last week, an embassy official said. Their release was kept quiet for security reasons, he said. It is not clear how many of the crew have left the country so far.

It is also not known what will become of the vessel now it is empty. [/restrict]

Tags: attorney generalCyrenaicahydrocarbon crimeIbrahim Jadhranillegal oil exportLibyaoil export portsOil tanker

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Benghazi shuts down in mass protest

Local council says no strike in Tripoli, but schools still affected

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.