No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fears grow in Tripoli despite Misrata/Zintan rejection of military action

byMichel Cousins
December 20, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli/Misrata, 19 December 2016:

There is growing public concern in Tripoli that statements from Misrata and Zinatan military councils rejecting military action in Tripoli could in fact result in fighting in the city.

Zintan military council issued a statement last week saying that it would not be involved in any military action in the capital or the surrounding area. This was followed by a meeting in Misrata on Sunday of representatives from its military council and those of Zintan and a number of other Jebel Nafusa towns as well as Sabratha at which they called for the Presidency Council to appoint a chief of staff to head the Libyan armed forces.

Separately, Misrata Military Council also announced that it too would not accept any military action in Tripoli.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The statement about not allowing military action is, however, seen as a thinly-veiled threat to pro-Hafter forces that they will be confronted if they try to enter the capital.

Last week, Hafter called on Libya National Army officers in the country to be ready for the march on Tripoli.

Moreover, while on the surface it would seem that Zintan and Misrata are now willing to collaborate in defence of Tripoli, there is realisation in the capital that both places are in fact deeply divided and that the military councils do not necessarily represent public opinion or military power in their cities and towns.

Zintan’s military council is headed by Usama Juwaili. Allegedly close to the Muslim brotherhood, his influence is declining. The real military power in Zintan is the Abu Bakr Brigade. Led by Al-Ajmi Al-Atairi, it is the group that holds Seif Al-Islam Qaddafi. Last week, he reportedly reiterated Hafter’s appeal, and called for mobilisation throughout the west of the country ahead of taking Tripoli.

The Misratans are equally divided.

The official political and military leadership in the city  backs the Presidency Council. It was it that led the move in Sunday’s meeting with military councils from the Jebel Nafusa to demand the PC appoint a supreme commander to the Libyan army.

But there are Misratans who do not support the PC. These include some 33 Misratan militias still in Tripoli, among them Salah Badi’s Jabhat al-Samud (Steadfastness Front), and the Mahjoub brigade. They too are split. Some back Khalifa Ghwell and plans for a new joint government with the Thinni administration in Beida. Others want Islamist revolutionaries to run the country.

Meanwhile, in a press statement about Sunday’s meeting, Misrata military council spokesperson Ibrahim Beitelmal said that it had been agreed by those attending that a chief of staff had to be appointed urgently. The PC also had to implement other decisions have been taken by the military meeting held in Tripoli in October.

“ We have discussed the very slow moves of the PC in regard to appointing a supreme commander to the Libyan National Army (LNA) although at our meeting in October we had stated that this thing must be done within 30 days,” he said.

“ We have prepared a full proposal about the army hierarchy which will be submitted within days to the PC for it approve it without delay,” he added.

The military councils at the meeting were those of Misrata, Nalut, Jadu, Sabratha, Zawia, Kabaw and Gharyan.

It is thought that the PC is too divided to appoint a chief of staff. At a conference last week in Tunis on international support for the PC’s Presidential Guard, questions were asked as to who was in charge of the armed forces supposedly under the PC’s control. The questions were left unanswered.

Tags: LibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

African Development Bank launches Tamayoz leadership training

IOM reports 18,722 rescued off Libyan coast in 2016

IOM reports 18,722 rescued off Libyan coast in 2016

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.