No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU to postpone Libyan coast guard training

byNigel Ash
September 27, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

2013 EUBAM training for the Libyan Coastguard rescue (Photo: Libya Herald)
EUBAM’s 2013 training for the Libyan Coastguard (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tunis, 26 September 2016:

The EU plan to train up to 100 Libyan coast guards is reportedly on hold because the Presidency Council has still to choose any candidates.

Diplomats close to the project to enable the Libyan navy to better tackle migrant traffickers told AFP the delay had arisen over concerns about the vetting of potential trainees.

The coast guard course, part of the European Naval Forces’ Operation Sophia was approved in May and the first recruits were due to start training in Italy by October.

RELATED POSTS

EUBAM trains 30 Drugs Control Agency and Customs Authority officers in advanced hand-held x-ray scanners

Toyota Libya starts training 8 youth as part of its regular “Discover Your Talent” training programme

At the time EU foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini said that the courses had been requested by PC chairman Faiez Serraj as a matter of urgency. Since then, according to AFP’s sources, no trainee list has been put forward. All candidates would need security vetting which could take up to a month. Thus there is now no way the programme can start before the end of October at the earliest.

Outside states are cautious about offering training. While the Italians enforced strict selection for the army personnel trained by their Alpine regiments in 2013 and the Turks quickly sent home a significant portion of their Libyan police training recruits, the British army had a disastrous experience.

Though there had been a careful choice of suitable candidates for six months’ basic training in the UK, according to a senior army officer, at the last minute the 300-strong draft was filled with un-vetted individuals.

An early breakdown in discipline saw a small batch sent home before the entire contingent was repatriated following a rape in the local town, for which two of the men were subsequently jailed.

It is unclear why the PC has not yet produced the personnel it wants trained. During Ali Zeidan’s premiership, the EUBAM mission had a programme organised for frontier security and border guards.  The courses never began because the then-government failed to put forward candidates.

In 2013 EUBAM did however provide a week’s training for the coast guard in and around Tripoli harbour.

Tags: coast guardDelayEUEUBAMfeaturedLibyaOperation SophiaSerrajtraining

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Food authority wants ban on Egyptian imports

Serraj in Paris for talks with Hollande

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.