No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj “to keep to government announcement deadline”

byMichel Cousins
January 19, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Serraj “to keep to government announcement deadline”

The Presidency Council in session (Photo: the Presidency Council)

By Libya Herald reporter.

The Presidency Council in session (Photo: the Presidency Council)
The Presidency Council in session (Photo: The Presidency Council)

Tunis, 18 January 2016:

Despite the walkout this morning from the Presidency Council by Ali Gatrani, one of the . . .[restrict]two deputy prime ministers-designate from Cyrenaica, the council is expected to finally decide the names of the ministers in the government of national unity by midnight tonight. Advisers to its head, prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj, and to other members told the Libya Herald this evening that Gatrani’s action would not prevent an announcement, and that it would definitely be made in the coming hours.

Early yesterday morning, the Council unilaterally extended the deadline for the announcement by 48 hours. It was originally due by midnight Saturday.

Appearing to confirm that a statement was almost ready this evening, several members of the House of Representatives who have had several rounds of talks with Serraj and the Council at the Tunis hotel where it is temporarily based were said to be happy with the composition of the new cabinet.

RELATED POSTS

All recently clashing state and militia forces and their military vehicles will return to their barracks as of yesterday evening

Presidency Council decrees unconditional ceasefire, freezes all Aldabaiba Tripoli government’s recent military/security decrees

Earlier in the day there were reports that some were angry at news that the Council had opted for just nine “super” ministries. They were reported to have told Serraj that as a result they would not turn up to the House of Representatives for the vote on the government, potentially depriving it of the quorum needed for approved.  Following this, according to well informed sources linked to the Council, it decided there would be no slimmed-down government and that it would contain 24 ministries.  According to those same sources, these have been allocated to different towns and areas, with the ministers coming from those towns and areas.

Cementing the apportioning, Serraj also had talks with a number of mayors this evening over of the list of ministers to ensure their support

It is not known if the decision by Gatrani to walk away from the Council at the eleventh hour also prompted its other members to go for the larger figure, bringing in representatives from as many places in the country as possible in a bid to counteract any negative consequences.

Gatrani is close to Khalifa Hafter and is seen as presenting his interests on the council. Some of those politicians and activists gathered at the Tunis hotel awaiting the government announcement this evening said his temporary withdrawal was a deliberate attempt to sabotage the government announcement, and done at the behest of Hafter.

Given that each ministry is to have two deputy ministers – the minister and deputies each representing the three traditional provinces of Libya – the government is going to have at least 75 ministers, possibly 81.

“It is going to be extremely difficult to manage,” one ministerial hopeful told this newspaper this evening. [/restrict]

Tags: Faiez SerrajfeaturedLibyaPresidency Council

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Senior army commander found murdered in Tripoli

Senior army commander found murdered in Tripoli

Beida council orders government to get out

Beida council orders government to get out

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.