No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL struggles to fix floundering political dialogue

byNigel Ash
February 26, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Window of opportunity slipping away, says UNSMIL's Leon
Window of opportunity slipping away, says UNSMIL’s Leon

Tripoli, 25 February 2015:

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) is scrambling to reconstruct the political dialogue, . . .[restrict]after this week’s planned talks in Morocco collapsed when the House of Representatives announced it would not be sending delegates.

UNSMIL today warned all parties that they should not “allow this window of opportunity to slip away”.

Some members of the HoR have said that they thought this week’s new round of talks came too soon after the slaughter of 42 people in the Guba  triple-suicide bomb attacks. There was also the fear among others that the government and parliament was going to be ambushed with a National Unity Government scheme, that effectively ignored the democratic choice of voters in last June’s general election.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The government point of view was set out by Libyan Chargé d’Affaires at the Washington Embassy Wafa Bughaigis. In an interview with CNN yesterday she said that while they supported peace talks and dialogue that would hopefully lead to the formation of a NUG, the HoR and the Thinni government wanted the international community to continue to recognise their constitutional mandate in “monitoring and forming the new national unity government”.

She also said the government wanted international support to stop arms shipments and the movement of funds by “terrorist entities”.  This would include the provision of intelligence.

It is understood that UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon was planning to fly to Tobruk today, presumably to try and persuade the HoR to reverse its decision. However, the trip was cancelled for reasons that are unclear.

Meanwhile, UNSMIL has sought to clarify what it said were a number of misconceptions. In particular it said today that everyone taking part in the talks so far had been “fully transparent during their work on the dialogue; decisions were made by participants after broad and inclusive deliberations and consultations”.

It said that continued splits over the dialogue posed a clear threat to Libya’s unity and cohesion. “Accordingly, it is urgent and necessary to reach an agreement on a strong and independent government, whose highest priority should be restoring the confidence of the citizens in the Libyan State”.

UNSMIL pointed out that Leon had said many times that the UN was neutral in the talks. It added that the last occasion he had emphasised this was when Leon had phoned Thinni to express his condolences on the day of the Guba massacre.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLeonLibyanational unity governmentWafa Bughaigis

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Zliten boy escapes kidnappers; two arrests made

Gawairi launches Tunisia media campaign, says there are 4,000 Tunisian terrorists in Libya

Gawairi launches Tunisia media campaign, says there are 4,000 Tunisian terrorists in Libya

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.