No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Dawn to oust IS from Sirte

byNigel Ash
February 15, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya Dawn to oust IS from Sirte

A picture said to show kidnapped Egyptians in hands of IS at Sirte (social media)

B

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

A picture said to show kidnapped Egyptians in hands of IS at Sirte (social media)
A picture said to show kidnapped Egyptians in hands of IS at Sirte (social media)

Tripoli, 14 February 2015:

The General National Congress has vowed to retake parts of Sirte seized in recent days by . . .[restrict]gunmen linked to IS.

Nuri Abu Sahmain, the speaker of the rump of the old parliament today chaired what was described as an urgent meeting of Dawn militia leaders and politicians at which it was agreed to form a “joint military force”  to recapture positions in Sirte now overrun by IS.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

These include  the local broadcaster Makdimas FM radio, Ibn Sina Hospital, the passport authority and social security buildings and the Ouagadougou Conference complex.

The meeting described the IS gunmen as “an illegitimate armed group”. It said that when they had been removed from “state property”,  the GNC would foster the creation of an Operations Room to follow up the military and security position in the town.

IS meanwhile on Friday issued a warning that all militia units should quit Sirte, giving a deadline of tomorrow (Sunday).

The president of the rump of the GNC also complained the Egyptian government had not contacted Tripoli and thus not provided the names of the Egyptians kidnapped in Sirte. These men have been pictured  being paraded in Gitmo-style orange jumpsuits in what might have been the initial stages of a mass-beheading. Th GNC statement suggested that had this information been available, Libya Dawn could have acted against the kidnappers of 21 Coptic Egyptians

The GNC’s Facebook page said that the it had contacted the Hassi-government’s interior ministry to confirm the news that these men had been kidnapped and killed.  The GNC went on to suggest that if Cairo didn’t want to talk directly to Libya Dawn on the question of the fate of the seized Copts, it would be happy to deal with the Egyptian government through a third party.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Abu Sahmain.featuredCoptsfeaturedISLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Grain and subsidized flour reserves down to two to three months supply

Civil rights leaders seized in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.