No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon should not have met “war criminal” Hafter: GNC

byNigel Ash
January 9, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon should not have met “war criminal” Hafter: GNC

UNSMIL's Leon with members of the GNC (photo:GNC)

By Libya Herald reporters.

UNSMIL's Leon with members of the GNC (photo:GNC)
UNSMIL’s Leon with members of the GNC
(photo:GNC)

Tripoli, 9 January 2015:

The rump of the GNC has roundly condemned UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon for meeting “the . . .[restrict]war criminal Khalifa Hafter”. After he had arrived for a meeting with some of the GNC in Tripoli yesterday, Leon was warned that any  further such encounters could “negatively affect” the dialogue that he is trying to organise.

Leon had travelled on to the Libya Dawn-held capital from earlier meetings in Tobruk with members of the House of Representatives. But it was his surprise talks with General Hafter in Marj that raised hackles among the members of the former parliament.

They handed Leon a dossier listing the air strikes carried out by the Libyan National Army and asked him to pass it on to the UN Security Council. The dossier apparent contained reports of the bombing of civilian targets and the use of “internationally-prohibited” weapons.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

UNSMIL has explained that Leon’s visit to Hafter had been part of his efforts to “de-escalate the military situation”.  A ceasefire is being promoted as an essential prelude to talks.  Leon said that Hafter had reacted positively to the UN proposal and would “discuss it with his team”.

UNSMIL also pointed out that while he was in Tripoli yesterday, Leon had also talked to commanders of militias from Misrata. They, in their turn, had said that they would consider the ceasefire.

GNC spokesman Omer Hmeidan said at a press conference after Leon’s meeting with the GNC’s “National Dialogue Team”,  that UNSMIL was proposing  the next round of dialogue be held in Geneva.

No date was given. However, Hmeidan stressed that the GNC  was anxious to resume the dialogue at an early date. He said that the Dialogue Team would be consulting with the rest of the GNC and would be responding to Leon’s proposals “next week”.

UNSMIL quoted Leon last night saying: “The majority of the Libyan people want peace. They should not be held hostage by a small minority that sees that it can win this conflict militarily,” Leon said. “It is important that this dialogue between the Libyan parties start very soon.”

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: "war criminal Hafter"featuredGNCLeonLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
RPG fired at Al-Nabaa TV HQ in Tripoli

RPG fired at Al-Nabaa TV HQ in Tripoli

Al-Libi’s body flown back to Tripoli

Al-Libi's body flown back to Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.